FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 30, 2024, 12:09:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: help, auto to FC  (Read 8163 times)
lewey

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2001, 12:12:57 AM »

Just wondering if anyone can provide any advice on the fitting of a powerglide or trimatic to an FC, have changed the front end, now running LX torana disks, and HR rear drums, installed brake booster and have a 186 ready to fit, havent yet got an auto box, seeking advice on whats the better way to go? trimatic or powerglide? which one is easier to fit, am i going to have dramas fitting the auto? does the floor need to be cut? do i need a custom xmember?
any help would be greatley appreciated.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2001, 01:49:10 AM »

I converted my FE to auto (186 + powerglide) a few years ago; not sure I'd do it again!  The stock tunnel in an FE/FC is too small to fit an auto (or even most 4-speeds) into.  I got my powergide and the whole floor (tunnel and all) out of the donor HK and trimmed it down to fit into the FE.  I already had bucket seats, and so using the HK floor meant the original T-bar fitted very neatly.

The upside of the p-glide is that it is almost bullet-proof.  The downside is the left-handedness, which makes fitting to the column almost impossible (if that's what you want to do).  The trimatic fits just as neatly, and is probably a bit cheaper on fuel.

Either way, you will need to modify the cross-member to hang the tranny properly; generally this mod requires an engineer's report (I know I did in NSW).

Hope this helps,

Richard

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
lewey

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2001, 03:24:06 AM »

thanks richard,

did you have to install a heater and 2 speed wipers when you did the conversion to the 186?

if so, do you know of any suitable doner cars for these parts,

also did you replace the whole floor, or could you just cut and weld around the existing floor to fit the auto?,

i started thinking damn i should have left this car stock, but after spending a small fortune on the front end and brakes, i decided the bigger 6 and the auto were the way to go... to late to turn back now  Smiley

hey anyone out there who plays around with V8's, i've also got a 600 holley with adaptor plate and a few other V8 bits off a HQ for sale, if anyone is interested leave me a message.

steve
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2001, 04:41:33 AM »

In answer to your questions:

1.  Engineer passed the car without heater, only electric demister (Cyplas suction-cup type - absolutely useless  :-/ )  I only have single-speed wipers, according to NSW guidelines they're OK as long as they do 45 sweep/minute or better. Rules might vary in your state.

2. See the thread from Carla about her wipers for info on 2-speed units.  Others might be able to suggest a heater, 'cos my experience with them is limited  Wink

3. I replaced virtually the whole floor, although it has both the remnants of the old x-member and the 'wings' from the HK floor now.

4. There's definitely advantages in getting a long motor with an auto already attached, since you can be sure you have all the bits and pieces like vacuum kick-down and so on you need.    Which reminds me, the p-glide has a manual kickdown, via a rod from the carby to the selector on the LHS of the tranny.  Make sure you get this if you opt for the glide.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Carla

www.myrtle.cjb. net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2001, 08:45:38 AM »

We've got an auto in our wagon and a 161.  She's our baby, I'm so glad we got an auto too.  You're dead right about the fuel consumption, I've worked out that Myrtle gives us about 9L/100km  Grin, but considering how dodgy our speedo is its probably around 10-11L, but I still think that's pretty good.  You have to take into account that the driving I do is all city driving and usually in peak hour traffic (she's my everywhere, everyday car).  PLus when I'm driving in all that traffic I'm so glad she's an auto, a breeze to drive (pitty no air cond. though  Sad )
David
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2001, 08:23:13 AM »

G'day,
I have been building my FC periodically over the last 11 years.  I have installed a 202 with a trimatic behind it.  As My car was in reasonable original condition, I looked into what transmissions I could use without cutting the car up to much.  I ended up using a trimatic due to the fact that I could install it into the existing tunnel without removing the tunnel itself.  Removal of the floor member in the tunnel that runs across the car will have to be done.  The section of the floor member is then duplicated and intalled on top of the tunnel with plates interconnecting it to the remaining parts of the floormember through the floor.  

If this sounds confusing, have a look at a factory EK Automatic floorpan setup.  Having said that, if you come across a wrecked EK with an auto floor pan, you can use this for your new tunnel/floorpan if you were to carry out the method that Richard has explained.  The FC Holden and Ek Holdens are practically built around the same floorpan/sill dimensions and profiles.

Your rear crossmember will have to be made and engineer certified if this is in Qld.  Removal of the handbrake assembly off the rear factory crossmember will have to be carried out so it can be attached to the new crossmember.(That is if you are using the original handbrake)

The trimatic auto will fit.  It is snug, but if these mods are carried out, it will fit nicely.  The trans dipstick tube will need to be altered slightly as well.  It all works because mine is running nicely and it is a pleasure to drive without fighting the crash box.

Happy motoring
David

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: