FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:38:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reproduction Wiring Looms  (Read 4775 times)
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2004, 11:40:44 PM »

Has anyone ever sourced a reproduction wiring loom for an FC with correct wire colours, terminals, binding etc?

I'm not after a generic wiring harness as sold by "Painless" etc, I'm specifically after a faithful reproduction.

Regards

Edward
Graeme

one of thses days my wagon will be finished.....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 12:02:14 AM »

G'day Ed,

there is a bloke here in melbourne who will reproduce just about anything.  i had him make me up an original loom for my 53 victoria, all correctly color coded, etc etc etc. it was perfect, fitted like it was supposed to and everything worked without any drama.

he does a lot of restoration work for older cars and motorcycles.

i have his details at home somewhere and will post them here later for you.

graeme
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 08:14:51 AM »

Have found this company, recommended to me by a couple of Vintage MG restorers and he lists the wiring harnesses for early Holden models, The work that I have seen done is fantastic and looks just like factory.
http://www.vinwire.com.au/gh_list.htm
just for another option anyway, can't hurt to have a look around.
Cheers
Matt
P.S. and just in case you want Quartz Halogen lamps that fir into your old bases so you don't have to change from the originals to get bright headlamps!
http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 08:18:34 AM by earlyholdenfan » Logged
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 09:07:28 AM »

Thanks guys
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 10:30:17 AM »

Matt,

Vintage Wiring do the main harness for an FC Special which is under dash and engine bay, but not rear.

All the connectors, bulb holders for tell tale lights, etc etc are included.

They seem very helpful. Initially quoting an 8 week lead time, I advised that I wanted the car back together at the end of this month, so they are going to have it ready next week!

I've ordered one so I'll post a picture once it arrives. I think it shall save hours of grief sorting out the spaghetti that I have!

(Why is it that people who modify wiring in a car insist on using the same colour wire everywhere......)

Regards

Edward
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 01:17:28 AM »

Here are two images of the reproduction loom

earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 02:19:52 AM »

Glad they could help you out, I have just ordered one for my Fj as well and had the same kind of service, couldn't fault them!
They have even matched the original wire coating and colours for the FJ and included some extra wiring into the harness for the indicators that I have fitted for a couple of extra bucks.

Matt
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 11:10:26 AM »

This loom looks to be not a bad repro but not good enough for a concourse restoration
It looks to have the right end terminals, but globe holders and fuse holders are wrong and wires exit the loom in the wrong places.
I know as I have just finished restoring my own loom and am looking at it as I type.
I untaped 3 looms to get enough correct wires with all the exact right fittings.
I then retaped the whole thing using a 4th loom as a pattern to get all the wire exit points just right.

Ken

Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 08:21:16 AM »

That's an interesting comment Ken. I realise that the bulb holders and fuses are different, but I am concerned that you think the wires come out in the wrong spot.

I'll compare it with an original loom and let you know. It may be just the way I laid it out on the board for the photo - I hope.

Regardless, it is going into the ute, not the wagon, so I am prepared to accept the functionality of plastic fuse holders, at the expense of originality.

Out of interest, is FE/FC concours judging to the level that they check the bulb holders in the back of the speedo? I've never had a car judged before.

Regards

Edward
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 08:37:07 AM »

No I dont think they would check the globe holders but the fuse holder attached to the side of the regulator is a very obvious giveaway of non-originality.
The wires in the dash area seem to have been grouped together into 3 different bunches whereas in mine there are 4 or 5 separate bunches

Ken
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 10:08:31 AM »

I checked it against an original - it's exactly the same.
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 10:15:36 AM »

I seem to have lost the earlier photo link

Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 12:06:34 AM »

Just thought I'd add my 2cents worth !

I have just placed an order with Vintage Wiring Harness ( the mob mentioned in this thread ), and it's correct, they only supply the MAIN harness and not anythign rear of the dash...ie...interior light, rear lights and petrol tank sender.....HOWEVER....it just takes a simple question.

I asked for about another 6 metres of wires added to the loom for the rear lights, petrol sender and interior light......NO PROBLEMS....cost about $6 more all up !

They just don't have a harness to copy to make it to length....so if you don't mind 5 or 6 metres of un-wrapped wires hanging out the back of your harness, then you get the whole thing for just $6 more, which in my case cost $283 for a sedan.   If the rear wires are too long, I'll just cut them to suit or tuck the excess wire out the way.....sure beats paying $550 for a generic Painless kit that you have to thread and half build yourself !

Oh yeah...when ordering, advise them if you have an alernator rather than generator and they can alter the loom accordingly.

Very happy with the service, Veryy happy with the price !

Just have to wait 6 or 7 weeks now.

CHeers

Mark
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 12:56:53 AM »

Definately don't pay the $550 for a Painless Kit!
If you are a modifier, I'd recommend the kits from Airide, mine was $395 for a fully labelled setup with provision for practically everything inc power windows, a/c, thermo fans etc, etc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: