FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 04:23:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: F.C. 308  (Read 18306 times)
GM

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2004, 04:31:57 AM »

I have an F.C. ute and have been running a 202 trimatic for the last 2 years. It has 4 wheel discs, gemini column, CRS chassis, 2 speed wipers, rear mounted nissan rack  and of course, seat belts. I am putting in a 308-turbo 400 combo. Not scared of the work, as have done the majority already, but would like good advice for the fitup. (e.g. manifolds, do I have to cut the inner guards, can I run standard manifolds, radiator, firewall mods. etc.) any advice to help would be great.
                Yes I am probably mad, but also determined.

cheers, Glenn.

Upon the hill there stood a cow.
It must have moved, It's not there now.
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 05:07:39 AM »

Glenn,

Should be a couple of weekends by the sound of it. Most of the hard work has been done...

Have you considered a 307 Chev/TH350 combination? It will fit with less difficulty (note I didn't say more easily  Smiley).

I'd be interested if your rear mounted rack will work with the V8 sump. I have a front rack for my project, but everyone tells me the turning ability is drastically comprimised, and therefore I would like to investigate a rear mount option.

If you are in NSW you will need dual circuit brakes, if you haven't already included it, and a heater demister.

My namesake, Ed Ho has progressed with a 308 project, and he is best to fill you in with the details of body mods, clearances etc. He is a forum user.

Good luck,

Ed
paul
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 06:09:46 AM »

I have been working on a efi 8 for my ute. So far I have found that  I have to dint the firewall so that I have enough room of the motor. It still only leaves me about 80mm between the pulley and the lower subframe lip. I think that I will have to place the radiator on the other side of where it is supposed to be.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 08:55:54 AM »

I think the major problem with the Holden motor is that the oil filter is in the way of the chassis.
Chev does not have this problem.

Ken
Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

Model: FC

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 09:46:07 AM »

Yeah and a Chev is is by far a better motor

Go the Chevvys
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 08:44:00 PM »

Holden 308, fitup.. what problems?

If u really want to burn the pants off a CHev, you just gotta install a Holden EFI motor I say  Grin

Seriously tho, A Holden is a problematic fit by comparison to a Chev however can be done.

As ken says the oil pump needs additional clearance on the subframe,

the firewall needs to be dented in, or a recess made.

the exhausts can be made to fit without cutting the guards,

the radiator can also be made to fit on the correct side of the support panel.

hope this helps.
Cheers

Ed

in the shed
GM

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 04:54:30 AM »

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated but now I have more questions. I spoke to Pat Gardiner at V6 conversions. He said the oil filter would fit, but obviously not. What mods are needed to the chassis rails? Do I have to cut, grind, replace bits, etc. Also, what kind of "dent" is required for proper clearance? Sounds like I will be cutting a recess for better looks if nothing else. Pat also said the firewall didn`t need to be touched. I wonder if he has actually done an F.C.  Oh yeah, why a 308? No real reason, it`s a holden and it turned up first. Will keep you posted on progress. [still bolting the motor up]

cheers,Glenn

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 04:59:12 AM »

friday arvo..  im so bored of work...

the oil filter will fit up OK, also oil pump will fit OK.
it has about 3 mm cleaarance to subframe.. if you are happy with that then its ok.. it will knock when the motor torques up.

the firewall doesnt have to be dented, just grind off the lip.  then u will have about 5 mm clearance.

I vut my subframe and used 3mm plate to make a recess.. now I can slide a finger between it and the rail.

I will try and fit up the motor soon and take clearance shots.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
GM

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2004, 07:11:51 AM »

Thanks Ed for the quick reply. I think engineers would like some sort of clearance. Do you know what is the minimum? 3mm sounds a bit close. Do you have an e-mail address?

fc4kiwi

crusin fine in a "59"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 09:29:47 AM »

best of luck to fit a 308,
overhere in kiwiland we have to have a min clearance of 12mm between movement and solid.
e.g  motor & firewall, exhaust & subframe e.t.c
when ever i have done motor transplants i try to get about 15-20mm safe limit overhere Grin
Check with your engineers over in Aussie.
A few years back their was a book put out by Graffiti I think called ""How to build a Streetmachine"
It show how they put a 308,auto and 9"diff into a FC ute good pictures and detail reading see if someone overthere has it .
cheers Tony Grin
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 08:40:50 PM »

HI Glenn,

to email me, hit the little letter icon on the lower LHS of the screen.

I use Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Modifications to find out rules and regs for NSW.

I can quote you section 3.1.5.2 Clearance to surrounding components.

in a nutshell for NSW.. 10mm, but I like fc4kiwi's approach.

I have "how to build a street machine" book.. personally I think it's not very helpful  for juicy details. It quotes from the Code of practice anyway, except it has nice pictures which is a plus.

Email me and I can help you with other planning ideas if u need.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Glenn m
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 07:59:25 AM »

Hey guys, big job, huh? I am going to cut the chassis for the oil filter. I think 15mm is a good clearance to aim for all round. I had a thought of using a VN type radiator and mounting it on the grill side which would get rid of the filler cap problem. What are your thoughts? The motor is still a few weeks of being fitted yet, but will keep you posted. [that is when Ed will be getting some e-mails] I will grind the firewall lip and see how it goes from there. If this 308 was easy it woldn`t be fun.

Cheers again, Glenn
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 08:27:18 PM »

Good choice

Glenn Smiley

your namesake Glenn actually has fitted a Chev to his FC wagon.
my namesake Ed, has gone the Chev route as well.

there is a thread elsewhere on radiators with some great ideas.

Radiators are available aftermarket for this application or there are cheaper alternatives about, it comes down to personal preference really (and project requirements).

my motor was rear set about 2 inches so this caused some clearance headaches while alleviating others.

another one im currently working on is a good alternator mount arrangement.  HQ type is too low, HK type looks promising, not sure about commodore mount either, but have looked into using a Jag belt tensioner so I can solid mount the alternator... just thinking out loud.

anyway, I will take relevant pics and stuff for you shortly and wait for your emails.

and modifications that look easy are often the hardest to do.

CHeers

Ed

in the shed
paul
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 08:17:28 AM »

I am using a VP ss motor and manual. Perhaps this is why I had to make a larger depression in the firewall. To clear the passenger side rocker.
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 10:33:34 AM »

Hi,just read bit about alternator brackets,when i fitted a v6 chev to mates Hilux ute we had no way of doing mount as the long belt for water pump and alternator spun the wrong way and we had to mount everything in reverse so belt spun them the right way,so we made template of an engine plate to mount all accesories off then took temlate to local engineer and had him make a plate out of 6mm steel plate it worked great and looked very nice after we drilled a heap of 8mm holes so air could flow thrue to engine and held the alternater,power steer pump and belt tensioner

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2004, 09:26:26 PM »

good idea Nicko,

I was just measuring the alt bracket and looking at the desired alternator position.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Glenn m
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2004, 07:37:36 AM »

Hey guys (haven`t  forgotten you Ed) just updating the progress. The motor is finished, and I will soon be pulling out the old red motor. I am going to recess the passenger firewall, subframe and modify the sump slightly for clearance on the rear mounted rack. I thought about changing the steering, but I like the way it is now so the sump mod. is no real drama. The oil pump is no real trouble either, I have opted to go with a Z160 filter off the later vn type  V8. It is the same diameter as the oil pump and gives you a bit more clearance. I did a  253 dummy fit in an f.b. shell, and it looks like you could still run standard exhaust manifolds
nearly. Still hoping to be running the original 3 core radiator with the firewall mods. done. Time will tell though. I said before, if it was easy it wouldn`t be fun.
        Chat again soon.
         Cheers, Glenn  
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2004, 06:33:35 AM »

Hi Glenn,
Would it be possible to send me a pic with the rear mounted rack and 308 installed? Wink
Regards ACE Cool
Glenn m
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2004, 08:14:39 AM »

No worries Ace, will get someone who has a camera and knows how to do it, but it might be a while off yet. I dropped the sump off today to a mate through work. Showed him what I needed and will be ready next week. You might want to see photos of it before and after mods. Keep you posted.
                Cheers Glenn
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2004, 08:48:39 AM »

Thanks Glenn,
I'll look forward to seeing the pics Wink
Regards ACE Cool
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...