FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:26:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: CRS chassis kit  (Read 5950 times)
56aussie

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2004, 02:10:07 AM »

Hi guys,
does anyone have any photos of a CRS chassis kit.
Bare chassis before fitting, mounted to the car, how it fits to original floor etc.
Ive read a lot of posts, but still just cant visualise the whole thing.
Theres nothing on the CRS site, but thats probably understandable given the extent of possiblilities they offer.
Thanks
Tony

All of my tools are hammers,
except the chisels,
they are screwdrivers.
Glenn Mors
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 08:38:24 AM »

Street Machine magazine had an article on fitting a turbo 700 in April to an F.C. ute, which uses a CRS chassis kit. Good photos and instructions.

cheers,
                                                       Glenn
paul
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 08:47:40 AM »

I have started to  fit the kit. I am not happy with the look of it. It sits away from the body. I Know this is silly.... but it looks like a bolt on. RHS everywhere.!!
YOu have to stitch weld plates to the underside of your front subframe. They have holes which line up with the front end holes ( 2 big ones with rubber mounts) and the three holes for the motors rear mount holes. Bolted through these three holes is another plate, which is welded to an rhs section which runs down to the first floor/ subframe crossmember (where the old gearbox mounts to) this rhs sits between the two doglegs and then bolts to this first floor/subframe crossmember. Bolted through this cross member is 5mm flat bar, which is in turn welded to RHS which runs rearward to the spring shackles. It is then welded to the spring shackles (not directly, but it consists of two RHS sections with a LAP joint to step into the rear leaf spring hangers.
I think thats how it is done.. I have only fitted the two plates on the front chassis.
poor description? if you wait I will send pics when finished.
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 09:31:48 PM »

I reckon the kits when fitted look really tuff.

and provide great jacking points and u can mount loads of stuff off them.

If i use the rail as a jacking point, the whole side of the car lifts up!!

try doing that with a non chassis kitted FE/FC!

in the shed
GREGD

FE & FC HOLDENS ROAR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 06:29:28 AM »

Hi guys

I looked at the CRS kit and thought I would make my own. (Anyone who has looked at Kate Textors FE has seen it) I went to the local steel merchant and purchased some 50x50x3mm rhs and some 3mm plate, then it was a case of getting the car in the air, and getting under the thing with a tape measure, pen and paper and make some detailed drawings. A hacksaw is all you need to cut up the steel, a grinder or drop saw makes it real easy then weld it all together then install it in the car. I have done two, the S.A authorities are ok with them. The cost is about $75+welding a lot more cost effective and you dont have to be a engineer to make it and you can put your own touchs to it then no-one else has the same thing. Sorry no photos im still working on how to do it (that you have to be EINSTEIN to do) good luck and have fun gregd
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 11:25:49 PM »

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I've just encountered a couple of hiccups with my CRS chassis kit.   Well, more my problem really, not the kit itself !

1.  After fitting my Red 202 and trimatic and rested the whole lot on both engine and gearbox mounts, I found the gearbox crossmember was about 30-40mm too low to support the gearbox at an appropriate level.  I've now had to get a spacer made up to raise the gearbox support about 30mm.

2.  After getting over that little hiccup, I also noticed that the 2 mounting holes ( lines ) on the gearbox support are about 15mm off centre to the 2 matching holes on the gearbox mount.  I think this is due to my side chassis rails not being located dead centre, and therefore the gearbox crossmember which can only bolt into one place ( with no real adjustment ), is in fact 15mm out to one side...no matter how much I try and push the gearbox around...just no go.....so now my spacer that I'm getting made for the 1st problem now has to have offset bolt holes in it !

Aaah...the joys of playing with old cars and putting new stuff in 40 year old bodies !

Cheers

Mark
Glennm
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 10:46:37 AM »

Put a 308 in a F.C. and then complain. Hello Ed.!
                                    Cheers< Glenn
Flamed_FE

Built with my two hands

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 01:54:40 AM »

has anyone got a copy of the april Street Machine I can borrow or can someone send me a scanned copy of the artical?

Al

Amy's & Mac's Jumping Castle
Glennm
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 08:24:20 AM »

Hi Al, give me a mailing adress and i will send you a copy of the article.
                 Cheers Glenn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: