FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:25:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Subframe rust  (Read 7499 times)
56aussie

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2004, 08:45:49 AM »

Hi guys,
Spent a few weeks going through the mass of information here. Most of my questions are already answered somewhere. Very happening site.
My FE is coming apart nicely. Havent found any big surprises so far, and theres not many places left untouched now.
Just got the front subframe off. Theres a bit of rust inside the subframe rails just near where it bolts on.
It looks and feels very solid and I'm pretty sure its not a problem structurally.
But I dont want it to get worse.
Anyone have any good tips on treating inside the rails?
Is it possible to get something right up to the stabiliser bar mounting?
I dont know if there was any original factory treatment up there.
Appreciate any info.
Tony

All of my tools are hammers,
except the chisels,
they are screwdrivers.
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 10:35:24 AM »

56 Aussie, A reputable sand/grit blaster should be able to help with a special nozzle that can go into the closed sections and direct the blast through jets in the side of the nozzle. Apart from that you could investigate having the subframe dipped / stripped.
Cheers, Gary
fe2ek
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 07:32:03 AM »

There is a good place in Dandenong called METALSTRIP.They dip it in chemicals and will come up like new .

Cheers Geoff
Damon

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 11:47:40 PM »

Tony,
        I am going through the same issues with my FC project at the moment and have done a bit of research on metal treatments.
There is a product on the market called "POR 15".
It is basically a complete restoration refinishing system.
Their main product of interest is their rust preventitive paint which will form a "tough almost ceramic like finish that wont crack or chip". The bonus is that it can be applied to rusty surfaces.
Although the surface preperation has to be adhered to quite strictly I believe that it looks like the best product on the market that I have come across. Check it out on WWW.ppc.au.com
I havent used it yet but it really looks like a fantastic product (I have some on order).
Mabe someone else reading this can share more info? Good luck with your project.
Damon. Wink
craiga
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 12:17:13 AM »

Damon,

I have used POR-15 and can recommend it highly. In fact I purchased the complete system, and used it as I was putting my car back together. Marine Clean is a great cleaning product, and the POR-15 paint is great. I applied it by brush, and it applies easily and does not leave brush marks. It's as hard as a rock when dry.

It's is a little expensive in comparison to other stuff but well worth the money. The only drawback I found was storage - it doesn't store well unless refrigerated, and even then shelf life is limited.

When I was down at Birdwood Mill in SA a few years ago the restorers in the big shed out the back were using POR products. Pretty good reference I reckon.

Good Luck with your project.

Craig.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 12:17:46 AM by craiga » Logged
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 02:56:35 AM »

I can vouch for POR..

I have used the POR15 system on every WHOLE panel on the car. so now the entire car.

Marine clean, the rust convertor acid (forgot its name) , POR15 paint then tie coat... b4 painting.

I LOVE the stuff it rocks.

and FWIW I'm not paid by them.. but should be Smiley

... actually Grant has given me some deals as I dont think there are many cars (if any) using the entire system on the entire car...

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
56aussie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 02:21:24 AM »

Thanks for the replies.
I called METALSTRIP, thanks Geoff.
They said that a subframe is a bit large for their tanks.
They have done them in the past with a bit of stuffing around, but they're a bit busy for awkward jobs at the moment. I totally get their point.
They referred me to PAINT STRIPPING in Yellow Pages. Found a place in North Rd Murrembeena. Est $120 for dip and phosphate coating. Sounds good.
Just got to work out how to spray something into the box sections. The guy reckons the posphate is not much chop long term.
Any comments.
Regards
Tony

All of my tools are hammers,
except the chisels,
they are screwdrivers.
andykotzur

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 09:33:15 AM »

Heres a method that I use
Repair and paint your subframe untill your happy .
Mix Tectol 506 and fishoil 50/50
Get a sandblast gun from supercheap, or similar product. Fix a bit of garden hose, the length of the rails, onto the end . Put plastic under the subframe.  Put the pickup hose in the Tecoil, Push the garden hose up ,(with a bit of a jiggle), the subframe rails and squirt away while slowly pulling it out . Put containers under major holes.  
Leave for a couple of days . Turn your sub frame over and do it again.
Dont forget the front rail through the holes in the top.  Then get some rubber gromets from your rubber shop and plug em up.
Good luck
Damon

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 11:25:12 PM »

Andy,
           your method sounds good (but messy)!
What is Tectol 506? Is that a trade name? what consistancy is the mixture when mixed with fishoil?
sounds interesting Roll Eyes
Regards, Damon.
paul
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 08:24:22 AM »

Its like a wax. I used it on the eh and it sticks like s**t to a blanked.
andykotzur

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 09:10:39 AM »

Tectyl is a product made by valvoline (I think).  There is  5 or 6 different types , all for different uses.  506  has wax in it and is for cavities etc.  You dont need to mix it with fish oil. I just had some non smelly fish oil on the shelf, and thinned the 506 down a bit, untill it was like moter oil.
good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: