FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 13, 2024, 02:56:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: re; v8 in fc and air con  (Read 3478 times)
brad gilbert.
« on: May 31, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

guys i have done both conversions v8 efi from vt series one and air con using vl v8 bracket and tr 70 compressor using under dash unit and condensor mounted under car.and you dont need to be a brain surgeon to do either so if anyone has any questions e/mail me at the above address.
Tony FC5859

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

Putting an underdash unit in is easy.I always thought it looked a bit rough though just hanging there underneath.Just something else to rip your knee caps off in the event of an accident.Fitted inside the dash or conceled else where in car is a better way to go I think.Condensor underneath the car? Where abouts? What about all the mud  and crap ? What about damage when your accidently run over something,or bottom out ? Condensors are easly damaged.Would be a lot more efficient up front having the wind forced thru it to get rid of the heat. Don't get me wrong, I'M NOT knocking you or your car at all,no way in the world!It's great that you got it finished and on the road,most guys give up long before and end up dragging the body too the tip,which is a real waste! Good on you for sticking with it to the end. It's just my opinion thats all,nothing more nothing less.I'd just do it differently thats all. Cheers Tony
Pabs

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

did you do a full v8 efi conversion?
Ed (Guest)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

Brad,
what oil pump are you using?, how much clearance did u manage to get between the rail and the pump?, did u recess your firewall to get the required clearance to the back of the heads?
brad gilbert
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

tony only way your gunna damage the condensor is if you are bush bashing.alot a vans run their condensor under the vechicle.fitting a holden v8 in the hole leaves no room to run condensor between the rad and thermo fans.im not sure what kind of under dash unit your thinking of but the one i run is 2 years old and very compact not some piece of junk that just hangs below the dash if u would like some pics of my ute e/mail me brad
brad gilbert
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

tony only way your gunna damage the condensor is if you are bush bashing.alot a vans run their condensor under the vechicle.fitting a holden v8 in the hole leaves no room to run condensor between the rad and thermo fans.im not sure what kind of under dash unit your thinking of but the one i run is 2 years old and very compact not some piece of junk that just hangs below the dash if u would like some pics of my ute e/mail me brad
Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

ed  the factory efi has a smaller oil pump.and all i needed to do to the firewall was cut the lip off on the left hand side and lightly tap it in and i mean light.both areas have about10-12mm clearance.i used hadfield stuff.the one thing he doesn't tell you to do is redrill the engine mount plates 12.5mm each side so the engine acutually sits in the bay straight.those of you who allready have v8s have you checked your engine is straight.of course the only other major mod req is to change the position the column goes through the plate in the floor.we fabricated our own extractors to fit between the block and the rails too.looks like it came from the factory if you want any more info e/mail me and ill give you my number(melb) brad

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
Ed (Guest)
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

Cheers Brad,
I used hadfield stuff too, and also had to modify the engine plates to suit.  I moved my engine back further than yourself, leaving lots of room for fans etc at the front, as was suggested by the overseeing engineer.  Also had engine pipes fitted that fit between the block and rails.  thanks for your advice much appreciated Ed
Pabs

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

mid if you send me some info on the conversion? manofaus@yahoo.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: