FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:34:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rear Brakes Burning up!  (Read 4370 times)
Brett (
« on: May 16, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

The rear drums on my FC wagon are smelling like they're burning (rubbery sort of smell) and the rear wheels have developed a squeak. The passenger rear is a bit warmer than the driver's side, and sounds loudest squeak wise.  
Any ideas what is happening and how to fix it? Haven't had the chance to look properly at it yet, but I think the brake might be locked on slightly?  
Only cause I can think of is that I had to slam the brakes to stop last week and since then the problem has started. Thanks
none@unknown.net
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

you might ligt to check the handbrake cable isn't jammed. Mine did that once. Mind you, it never works properly, mostly I leave it a LONG way out of adjustment so it never jams.
Regards Richard
r
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2002, 01:10:47 PM »

If you have brakes from an HD or newer retrofitted, they are self adjusting.  The self adjusters can wind the lining adjustment too far after a hard stop and cause your problem.  Better whip of the drum and inspect the lot in any case if it has overheated.
craiga
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2002, 05:21:02 AM »

Could be a wheel cylinder fault. Because you have applied the brakes so hard the piston has travelled fractionally further than normal, into an area of the cylinder that has corroded. Because the piston has failed to return to its normal position the brake shoes are still being forced into contact with the drum.

If this is the fault you will need to disassemble the wheel cylinder and check its condition. Replacement cylinders can be purchased from brake shops but can be expensive - about $80.00 from memory.

Always pays to replace the brake fluid regularly......

Good Luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: