FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 09:17:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Number plate surround  (Read 3022 times)
Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2004, 06:32:29 PM »

Hi Guy's

Can anyone tell me if the FE chrome number plate surround on the front bar is the same one as the rear.

Thinking that the one on the front of my FC is a rear unit.

Thanks,
Steve.
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 07:13:10 PM »

Exactly the same piece

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 03:49:20 AM »

It is but it wasn't always.  Here's some real trivia for you!

This is something I discovered when researching whether an original FE business or standard sedan should have the holes for the number plate over-rider or not.

Leon,

I checked into this after our conversation on Sunday. I had a look in my parts manuals for the front bumper plate over-rider, just to find out what is original for Standards, and it was interesting. You said your car didn't have one when you got it, although the holes were there. Not having one ties up with an image of a standard I have in one of the parts manuals, although it doesn't show the holes.

The Preliminary Parts Manual and the FE Illustrated Parts Manual (both published in 1956 and predating FE utes, vans and wagons) list the following:

GUARD ASSEMBLY - Front License Plate
     Guard Assembly                        FE/225                  7410076

BAR - Bumper face
     Centre-Front                              ALL                        7408731
     Centre-Rear                              ALL                        7408731

GUARD ASSEMBLY - Rear License Plate
     Guard Assembly                        ALL                        7409228

All the components of the rear bumper are listed as pertaining to "ALL", as you would expect - bumperettes appeared in later manuals for the utes and vans. Interestingly though the number plate guard on the rear has a different part number: 7409228. This made me wonder if it was a single part number for the chrome guard and the license plate bracket and light fitting. But there are separate part numbers for the socket and wire assembly, the retainer and the Ground-Strip. So that's not it.

And then in the Master Parts Catalogue (covers 48 - FCs in first paint scheme) we find:

GUARD ASSEMBLY - Front License Plate
     Guard Assembly                        FE/225, FE/229      7409228

BAR - Bumper face
     Centre-Front                              FE                        7408731
     Centre-Front                              FC                        7414456
     Centre-Rear                              FE excl 2104,2106      7408731
                                               FC excl 2104,2106      7408731

So what all this tells us is this: there is only one part number for all FE front bumpers (7408731), and the standards and commercials had the holes showing where the guard assembly would have been fitted. Just as you surmised, your car should not have the guard on the front and the holes are original. Because no FCs had the guard on them, a new part 7414456 was introduced for the bumper-bar centre with no holes in it.

But what about the two different part numbers for the guard assembly itself? I'm left wondering if perhaps the 7410076 part number was for guard assemblies without the holes to screw the license-plate bracket onto, that could only be used on the front. At some point subsequently the inventory was rationalised to just make them all with holes. I checked on both my cars but they both have holes - I thought the all-blue one might have proved my theory, being such an early one and pretty original. But alas, I can only speculate that this is the reason. However, in the later Master Parts Catalogue, it does indeed show part number 7410076 was replaced by 7409228, so it's not a misprint.

I've cc'd Ken in case he has any suggestions. It's amazing, I always learn something when I crack open these books! And I'll buy that over-rider off you though, as we discussed, since you won't be needing it ;-)

cheers
RET

Ken also subsequently replied:
Guys, very interesting I have never realized this before and you're right - every time you open the book there's something new to find. I suspect that you're right Richard that GMH originally intended to have 2 different parts for front and rear - most likely the prototypes did and even some early production. I have the FE parts book which includes the ute and van dated 1957 and already the part numbers have reverted to 7409228 for both front and rear.
My assumption is that very early after the release of the FE the 7410076 part was deleted.

Ken

So there you go.  I've made it my business ever since to double-check these things if I see them at swap meets etc, just in case I find one that's different.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 06:37:31 AM »

As RET reports, an original FE business or standard sedan should have the holes for the number plate over-rider.
My business sedan, did but now it does not.
In the 70's I had a small prang and bent the bumper, so I replaced it one off an FC.  The FC bumper has no holes, and it came off a special.
Originally my business sedan (Aug-Sept 56 build, and in my family since new) had holes for the number plate over-rider, but never had the over-rider.

Maybe we should swap our bumpers, or I can just drill a couple of holes in mine!

Cheers,

Geoff_K
Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 05:40:14 PM »

Boy !! I think you have answered  my request.

Thanks Guy's

Now do I bolt the number plate to the bar as it is or do I bolt the No plate to the overider Huh?

Steve.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 10:11:41 PM »

The front license plate should be bolted through the middle bottom holes to a bracket which in turn is bolted to the holes at the bottom of the bumper centre.  You can bolt the plate straight to the bumper, but it sits too high and can foul the over-rider (on the FE).

The rear license plate should be bolted to the bracket that houses the light-fitting by the middle top holes.  This bracket is then screwed to the plate over-rider.

Hope that helps,
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2004, 08:43:19 PM »

Hi Ret,

Thanks mate for the info.
I have bolted the No. plate directly to the bar using the bottom two holes as you sugested, and with new number plate covers its fits fine and looks good.
I'm missing the small mounting bracket, i will try a wreaker near home for one, I know there is an old FE wagon (Whats left of it ) laying in his yard it may still have the front bar. i mite take a pic and get the id numbers for Ken while i'm there.

Thanks again,
Steve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: