FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 07:31:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: SPEEDOMETER  (Read 2037 times)
fc_special

working on getting my fc pic here

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2004, 11:08:01 PM »

Hi Everyone..i have recently bought a fc..just a few questions if anyone can help...ok.  how do i fix my speedo???.the connection behind the firewall seems to be fine..its at the other end i think..do i need a new cable or can it be fixed(i fixed it for 50 meters)..thanks...from nick athans
craiga
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 11:58:37 PM »

Welcome to the forum Nick.

Remove the speedo cable from the gearbox by undoing the knurled round retainer nut. Spin the cable by hand or preferably using a battery drill. The speedo should read. If not remove the inner cable and check for breaks or other damage. If it is OK, clean, oil, and refit. Now try the drill trick again. If it still doesn't read the head unit is most likely at fault. I can assist with repairing it but you may find it easier and quicker to replace it with another one. Post a request here and I'm postive you will get one fairly quickly and cheaply.

Good Luck.

Where are you? You should think about joining one of the FE FC Clubs around Australia. Heaps of advice and experience to assist you with your car.

Cheers,

Craig.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 09:53:35 AM »

Generally most speedo cables break for 2 reasons.
1. they have a kink
2. the speedo head dries out and gets very hard to turn

Both result in inner cable failure at the weakest point, generally at the gearbox end.

Make sure you test the speedo head as suggested before finally fitting the new cable.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: