FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:08:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on replacing FC Sedan rear floor pans  (Read 2884 times)
Trevor_B
vic-club

Model: FC

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2004, 09:39:16 AM »

The body looks fine but the floor has holes...
I've worked my way around the body of my FC sedan, replacing the rust with real steel using an oxy welder and patience.  I now have to deal with the holes in the rear floor pans. My plan is to purchase replacements from Rare Spares and weld them in. Any advice from those who have done similar?

Thanks,
Trevor B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 09:17:55 AM »

The way I do it is to cut the R/S replacement to the size required to replace rusty metal only, no point in replacing good metal.
Place the new floor over the old and scribe heavily to mark a cutting line.  Use a 1mm blade on a small grinder & this will give you a good gap to oxy weld a butt joint.
If panel tends to overlap, a quick run with the grinder will fix.
Some like to mig weld with an overlap, and this is OK, but then you have to go round the bottom completely again to weld the other half of the overlap.
The oxy method allows you to simply grind the bottom to finish and then either fill and smooth for a really hidden weld or just spray with deadener.
Ken
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 01:48:40 AM »

I haven't actually tried this, maybe someone could comment.

What about cutting the panel to size as suggested, then using TEK screws to "bolt" the new panel to the old floor then cut using the angle grinder or a reciprocating saw for curved cuts. Undo the TEKS and it should be a perfect fit, with a few holes to fill in.

colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 10:22:17 AM »

I have just finished replacing my rear floor. The whole Rare spares panel was used,(left side only) we cut the old floor around the new panel, drilled out any spot welds for under floor brackets, tacked the new panel in place. When we were happy we welded it in place. We had to make up filler pieces where the new panel didn't cover. The ribs in the new panel are a different profile which has to be allowed for also. Spend some time cleaning up the welding and some body deadener, it's hard to pick at first glance.
Colin.

colt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: