FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 09:17:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How Many Litres?.. paint  (Read 7106 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: January 16, 2004, 01:30:32 AM »

Hello All,

Happy New Year.. its been almost a month since Ive  been here!

Took a break in Thailand where I saw crusing the streets a Pristine HR Holden  Shocked

I also managed to glimpse a customised Mercedes of 70 or 80s vintage i believe, with a trio of port holes in the rear quarter, angled front end (kind of trans am style) recessed lights with ally covers and a wierd ass grille.. looked cool, unfortunately no pics.

painted matt black, dunno if it was on purpose or a result from the fumes belching from the diesel motor.

anyway..

Can anybody give me an approximation of the amount of 2pak paint required to cover a car or wagon in this case (minus roof and interior)? including engine bay.

Im planning 3 x double header coats.

any help appreicated.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 11:33:40 AM »

i'd be very nterested in this also.... since mine is due for paint soon

simon
craiga
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 12:44:23 PM »

Ed, Gree,

Spoke to my brother and he says to paint an FC inside and out uses the following:

2 Pack (HVLP Gun Used)
4 Litres of Colour + 2 Litres of Hardener

Acrylic
6 Litres

Roughish guide because it depends upon how many coats and how thickly each coat is applied.

Hope this helps in some way.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 11:32:30 PM by craiga » Logged
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 01:34:06 AM »

Thanks Craig,
it helps me alot.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 04:42:25 AM »

me too!  Wink

very valuable info as mine will cop an in and out spray..... in a month or two or three when i finish rubbing it back and prepping it in between driving it!

what colour ed?

simon
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 05:05:27 AM »

Hi Simon,

one colour I know which is going on is Etna Maroon.

I have 2L of this mixed up in 2K.

The engine bay has been smoothed, and is about to cop some paint.  Will just need to put the motor in this weekend (without scratching anything) and check once again a few items such as heater plumbing and a few wires here and there.

Im not sure what the second colour is or the overall scheme will be either... it may even sport Castle Gr*y  for the interior..

the Gr*y roof is undecided either..
that would be the original paint scheme.

Other options are entire Etna Maroon, however ive seen similar paint jobs, ie Katsanis WILDFC, and although looks good I'd hate to follow a tried (and true) path.

or perhaps with the 2L I have of Etna, may paint the engine bay, interior and roof in Maroon and remainder of exterior in Matt black.  not that this is anymore creative or individual lol..

so I guess its whatever happens on the day and how much masking im willing to do.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
craiga
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 09:11:43 AM »

Ed, Gree,

I talked to my brother again today after a PM containing a question from Glenn (FC-V8) and he told me the following:

You will need 2 Bar Gun Pressure

For top coats use up to a 1.4 tip with gravity guns, up to 1.5 tip for suction type guns.

For priming (Hi Fill Primer) use a 1.8 - 2.0 tip, the 2.0 is the better choice.

He said that if you let him know some details of your gun and paint type he'll give you recommended settings.

Cheers,

Craig.
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2004, 09:19:02 PM »

Thanks Craig
             That will help me heaps,  I will check out the spray gun tonight & let you know what type it is. As for the paint I think I will use PPG 2 pack.  Please tell your brother thanks for his advice. He is a champion.
Cheers
Glenn  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 09:28:09 PM by GLENN » Logged

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2004, 01:34:23 AM »

One thing you guys have not mentioned here, make sure you get a bloody good double mask if not full face for the 2 pack paint, to many isocionates = not good

I got a good one recommended by 3M with cartridges and pre filters for aprrox $150, bear in mind a full face air pressure one will afford you the best protection

If your using an old Iwatta VX770 gun, Iwatta recommend a 1.6 tip for 2Pack. (suction) Useful info, both 1.6 and 1.8 nozzles use the same needle, just different air caps and nozzles. Cuts cost down alot.

Cheers ChrisB  Cool
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 01:39:56 AM by ChrisB » Logged
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 10:27:21 PM »

THanks all for the useful info.

Current set ups are

2.0 mm fluid tip on gravity gun for primer

1.2mm fluid tip on HVLP gravity.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 12:07:55 AM »

hey ed,

what about a nice bone/ivory colour to go with the maroon?

also on a paint issue. my old green paint was acrylic, and th panel beater said he used 2 pac high fill. i will most likely paint the car in acrylic, so should i give the entire car a coat of sealer, and then another thinned down coat of acrylic high fill, followed by my top coats? or do you think i don't have to worry abou thte sealer if using acrylic.....?

simon
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 02:09:21 AM »

Craig

I am looking at buying a HVLP gun in the near future for applying 2K paint as well as filler/primer.  I dont want to spend a large amount of money if I can help it.  If your brother has any tips on a good quality, value for money gun to suit this application, I would be keen to hear his advice.

Also, is there anywhere in Sydney or elsewhere that you would recommend buying a gun from?

Cheers - Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 07:32:53 AM »

Hi Simon,

I'm not a pro painter, but in your situation I would probably seal it with a good quality primer surfacer before hand.

Im actually using tetrosyl hi fill and letting it gas out before I put 2K over it.  My test panels show decent results with no adverse effects.

Since I still need some colour mixed I may go back to acrylic for the body.  it's really forgiving and my spray booth is the great outdoors.  I am using 2K for engine bay so will decide going on the results obtained there.

The castle grey that I stripped was kind of ivory/boney colour but yeah I like your idea there.. I actually tried on champagne as another colour and it looks not to bad as well.

Chuck,

Im using a "Star" HVLP for acrylic use and 2K and I think its pretty good value.  was around the 300 mark if memory serves me correctly.

I got it from Total Tools Granville, but have seen similar at Hunter Holden Top Ryde and Tool Works Castle Hill.

the gun gave good results using PPG acrylic and also 2K.

I use a cheap Star gravity fed gun for putty etc, I dont think a HVLP could move the heavy stuff even with a big fluid tip.

This is what seems to work for me, Id be keen to hear advice from Craigs bro too, the result on the Poo Mobile is great.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2004, 11:27:28 AM »

Hey ED

Great to see that your finally gunna put some paint on your car wont be to long now hey mate.

CANT WAIT TO GO CRUISING WITH THE WAGONS

See Ya

Ben
FC-V8

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2004, 12:31:30 AM »

HI ALL
        I spoke to a guy here in sydney about buying a HVLP spray gun & he said he sells a STAR sv106 3g hvlp gun with a 1.5 tip set up for $220 including gst for those who may be interested, He also does other brands.

He was also telling me that he reconditions old guns by cleaning & fitting new kits to them & he will pick up & deliver all for $40 but he said he will do them for $30 for people who use this forum.

If anyone is interested give Garry a call on 0400-073226
Cheers
Glenn

0401-065-201
FC-V8

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2004, 10:14:04 PM »

Recently finished respraying the wagon in original colours inside & out in Acrylic I used approx 10 litres of paint & 20 litres on thinners.
Glenn

0401-065-201
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2004, 10:23:29 AM »

gees,it must be 1/8 of an inch thick,should repell direct hits with rocks

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...