FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:17:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Latest HW's custom Hot Rod  (Read 5722 times)
customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2003, 11:09:56 AM »

Here's my latest lil' creation.
I took a HW's 'Track T' and added a roof from another car. Fair bit of bodywork to get the top to fit.

Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 06:51:29 AM by custom_fc » Logged

customFC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 11:32:49 AM »

Here's a pic after the first cuts are made, with the car mocked up. This will be the next creation, and is modelled after an actual car. Still a way to go.
Regards
Alex

fc_ute

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 02:39:12 PM »

alex, what car is the roof off of?
craig
customFC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 11:46:14 AM »

Hey Craig.
The roof is off a Tomica Type T Ford.
Regards
Alex

fc_ute

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 01:51:40 PM »

you have really nailed the "look" on that model.
i am building a real T tudor along those lines at the moment.
i used to modify hot wheels cars a few years ago until the arthritis in my fingers made it hard to work in small scale.
i will dig out some of my models and send you some photos. i did a real nice fj drag ute(converted from a matchbox van) a hr sedan drag car(opel)  and various hot wheels rods and customs.
also started but never finished a fj coupe and convertable. another work in progress is a hq one tonner (converted from matchbox hj ute) drag car with a hand made plastic engine block and gearbox,wire extractors and full roll cage.
at the moment everything is packed away until i can get my fingers working properly and i am really busy working on my real cars but i still collect bits and pieces and put them away for the day when i take it up again
craig
customFC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2003, 11:30:00 PM »

Hey Craig.
Sounds like some very cool customs. I would love to see the pics. Always nice to see Aussie cars customised.
I started doing this stuff about 2 years ago, but takes me ages to finish one. Never enough time. I guess you saw my FJ coupe in the other thread, would love to see yours, even if it isn't finished. I think others would get a kick out of seeing your customs also, so post the pics here.
Sorry to hear about the hands, I hope they get well enough to let you enjoy the little and big hobbies you've got going.
Regards
Alex
P.S. How 'bout some pics of the T coupe your building. Post them in Members Cars. TA!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 11:33:03 PM by custom_fc » Logged

fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 01:49:21 PM »

Hey Alex,
Do you think the geeky designers at Tomica would have imagined their car ending up like that.
Have you ever considered HO scale slot cars, you can race them at home and spend over a hundred bucks on go fast hop up parts, software is available freeware on the net to set up a track computer using a cheap old obsulete PC that has windows 95 or higher on it, this will give you a simular set up to what you get at a commercial track but you race for free. You can even set up a drag strip using two sensors in the track and it will cost you under $20 to make the interface and sensor wich are ifra red and better than most commercial tracks that still run dead sections. for hopped up motors you will need to use aftermarket power supplies and some commercial track type controllers such as those made by parma that you buy at a track. Aroura AFX model motoring dates back to the late 50's and you can run the old 50's Aroura vibrator cars on the latest AFX track and vise versa.
HO slot cars are making a big come back in the states and a majority of the fans are those who had sets in the sixties but now have the money to build their dream cars and tracks.
Due to this, most racing is done with Aroura T-Jets wich were the Aroura cars used in the 60's, these things handle like crap and are quite slow but they usually are treated with hop up equiptment to improve these characteristics.
With the popularity of the T-Jet cars NOS(New old stock) T-Jet stuff is coming from everywere including complete cars, And if you want to customise a car you dont have to hack up no origional 60's and 70's Antiques becuase companies like Johnny lightening are also in on the T-Jet thing and making reproductions of most models. Johnny Litenning also make these with a magnatraction replica chassis and a cheaper version is also avail on a pull back car chassis that you can clip onto your AFX Chassis. some body styles include a 57 chevy nomad, 41 Willy's gasser coupe (also available as a yellow MOON special), 54 corvette nomad, 57 corvette. 33 willys panel pan, Dodge little red wagon, 64 VW pick up, 59 el camino, 34 ford, and heaps more stuff like that, many are also available in candy chrome wich may be a bit had to customise, you can also add some aliminium racing mags or a set of standard t jet rims with skinny tyres that look like cross ply's, chrome steelies or painted steeliesor many of the various custom aftermarket rims on the market for these cars, silicone racing tyres, hi po traction magnets, independant rotating front axles and light weight lexan bodies are used to improve handling.
The light weight clear lexan bodies were not around in the 60's but there are some pretty cool variations with these to such as a 49 ford leadsled, 50 buick leadsled, 55 chev nomad, 57 chev drag body,49 mercury, 40 ford woodie etc. I will have some of these lexan bodies for sale on my site in a week or two for about $4.50 each, they are some of the harder to get bodies and I have a feeling the merc body is no longer available.
It would be good to see some old holden bodies but unfortunately HO scale has never been big here, however and as you probably know you can get a EH, FJ, HK, LX,HQ,VB,VL,VN all inthe larger scale that is commonly used here in Australia on commercial tracks.
Although these cars are called HO they are actually a bit bigger, very close to the size of a hot wheels car, infact I have seen some cars using bits hacked of hotwheels cars and they seem to fit up well such as the engine from a metrorail. repro grills, bumpers, windows etc are also getting popular and sell for about $4.99 US a peice to HO slot car restorers.
Just thought I might drop you the Idea, im gonna go cut some laps now with my chopped 2 door 57 chevy sedan in the back room. or should I do some work on my original 60's aroura 57 nomad, nah its time to hit the track with my Rod.
see ya

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: