FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:01:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HAVE YOU SEEN ONE OF THESE ????  (Read 8690 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2003, 10:21:28 PM »

Sorry guys, I can't get a pic yet ( no digital camera ), BUT...I was searching through the boot of my donor car on the weekend, and turned over this piece of metal and found what could be a real treasure Huh

It's called a "WYDA SCOPE - Safety Mirror"...I've never seen one before, but after checking, it did come from and was attached to my FC.

It is a LONG  ( almost the width of the cabin left to right ), metal box, with 5 rectangular mirrors all angled towards the driver almost in an overlapping fashion.

It is mounted where you would normally put a mirror, and basically provides a full car width mirror.....you can see everything !

Has anyone seen one of these before ?  It's obviously an aftermarket accessory, and maybe generic to any car?Huh    Maybe RET, TREV, or SLIM can shed some light on the subject,

Mark
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 11:41:52 PM »

Mate.
Ask EVERYBODY. We are ALL into FE's & FC's.  Ken the Guru is a good one to talk to as well.
Ahh, but you weren't asking that were you? The mirror you have was commonly fitted to Taxi's & other delivery vehicles. Big, long & lots of mirrors sound about right. VERY unusual to be fitted to a everyday car. Have a look under your dash for extra holes for meter & radio fitment. You may have an ex-Taxi. Also, check your compliance plate. Regards,
Rob J
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 11:42:25 PM by 4hammers » Logged

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 11:58:36 PM »

Thanks for that Rob....

Yes you are right....big long and full of mirrors.......it had a metallic blue sticker on the back of it, which said......WYDA SCOPE  ( in a sloping, writing style of print ) and the words Safety above that, and the word mirror below the WYDA SCOPE.... had a feeling it may have been fitted to a Taxi, because who else would need to see so much of the back window.....but it was fitted to my donor car, which is a 2 tone FC Special......Poo Brown and White......I've given the serial numbers to KEN when I first picked it up, but he didn't say it was anything other than a SPECIAL......then again, after seeing photos on this site, there were SPECIAL's owned by privateer Taxi Drivers, so the compliance plates were just SPECIAL but were actually  Taxi's in a former life.

I'll try and get a photo of it as soon as I can track down a digital camera.

But it's good that you knwo what I'm  talking about.....

Cheers
Mark
Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 05:16:03 AM »

Here is the pic...hope it works out ok....my 1st posting of pics...

mark
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 10:45:37 AM »

Hi Mark,
They were an after market attachment.One of my friends fathers fitted one to his EK wagon when I was a kid in the 70's.
Cheers,
Graham
Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 01:16:53 PM »

Hi Mark,

I remember my old man had one like it fitted to his old 59 Jag. And remember him often complaining about the head-lights from other cars behind us, the reflection would blind him.  Cool

Steve
Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 10:03:09 PM »

Thanks for that Graham and Steve.

Steve....that's a good point about being blinded with headlights behind you.....but just think of the fun you could have if you swung the mirror around back at them.......they'd never know what hit them !

Shame on me, for promoting bad driving and road rage.....apologies !

I don;t plan on taking my baby out much at night or in the rain, so I may just whack it on for something different anyway.....but thanks for the tip !

Mark
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2003, 10:27:47 PM »

If you arent going to put it on your car and decide to sell it , let me know , Alfio is currently restoring a FE Taxi and would love that . Cheers SLIM

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2003, 12:23:23 AM »

Thanks for that Slim......I'll have a think about it some more, as I'm a fair way away from finishing my car, and at the end of the day, it is more suited to a Taxi restoration than a standard car......I'm not sure what it's value is.....?

If it's sale value is not a great deal, then it's not worth selling it, as it would be worth more to me to hang on to it.....

How depserate is he to find one of these ?

I'm not interested in making a quick buck...if I sell it, it would be because I decided it would be more suited to a Taxi resto, and I'd feel good that it was going to a good home, but it has to be a fair price.

As far as the condition goes.....if I kept it.....I'd pull the glass out.....sandpaper off the surface rust....soak it in rust converter......etch prime......metal prime, then paint or alternatively, Chrome it !   Then I'd have a glass shop make up some new mirrors for it, then she'd be Brand New !

Cheers

Mark

sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2003, 11:52:11 PM »

Unfortunately mines not as big as yours, but for $1 at a swap meet it clips over the stock mirror and gives an improved view.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 02:30:10 AM by sgo » Logged

robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2003, 03:28:05 AM »

mark there was a restored "wydascope"mirror in the quokka(wa's equivalent to the tradingpost)last week
                $300

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
fc_ute

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2003, 11:03:27 AM »

hey slim, we are thinking of pulling our taxi out of the museum early next year and stripping it of the taxi items and customising it for my sons first car. has your mate got the 2 ways, meter and signs?
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2004, 06:31:58 AM »

If you need one a Wydascope for your Taxi or other I have one for sale to the best offer.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 02:27:47 AM by sgo » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: