FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:27:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fc Wagon grey 132 motor with Fram F4 bypass filter  (Read 2155 times)
fc25250

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2023, 08:52:28 AM »

Might be a silly question but the Fram filter when changed does it need to be primed before the lid is tightened up ? Reason I ask is that after the last change not a lot of oil collects in the canister so does it need help to get a good head of oil flowing through this unit.
From what I see it’s all pretty pathetic and really hardly worth the exercise but looks period
What do you grey engine fellas reckon ?
Thanks FC25250
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 09:45:29 AM »

The bypass filters only filter a very small amount of the oil pump flow (hence the name bypass), unlike the full-flow filters installed on the later red motors.

They do not need priming, but can benefit from venting to remove the air that will sit in the filter housing top. They can self-drain once shut down if the lid has any leaks.

Their benefit is marginal at best, and even then you would need to be daily driving it or using it very frequently in a stationary engine setup.

You probably remove move dirt particles via the oil leaking from the rear main, timing cover and rocker covers, along with the short oil change intervals.

Cheers,
Harv
fc25250

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 06:13:50 PM »

Thanks Harv
Everything and all I expected
As previously stated they look period but their worth is about as good as a two Bob watch
Pretty sure I have never observed more than 2” of oil when I service the engine
Regards FC25250

The bypass filters only filter a very small amount of the oil pump flow (hence the name bypass), unlike the full-flow filters installed on the later red motors.

They do not need priming, but can benefit from venting to remove the air that will sit in the filter housing top. They can self-drain once shut down if the lid has any leaks.

Their benefit is marginal at best, and even then you would need to be daily driving it or using it very frequently in a stationary engine setup.

You probably remove move dirt particles via the oil leaking from the rear main, timing cover and rocker covers, along with the short oil change intervals.

Cheers,
Harv
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 02:36:33 PM »

When I change the oil and filter on my greys I always fill the canister with oil before refitting the lid. When I do the changes there is always a small amount of sludge in the bottom of the canister. This is dirt which would otherwise go thru the engine. The bypass filters only clean a small proportion of the oil but in my opinion every little bit helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: