FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:08:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Alternator exciter wire question  (Read 1492 times)
Wasim

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2023, 08:21:58 AM »

The last piece to wiring the car is the alternator exciter wire. I've tested all the wiring  - all good - and got the motor running only to find the alternator wasn't charging. I'm using a 55 amp alternator with a built in regulator and thought it would start charging once a certain rpm was reached??? but not so - therefore I'll try it with an exciter wire.

I have a Wilsonia gauge and from what I can see if I'm going to have an ignition light (exciter) it is with the temp tell tale?

I'm confused in that the temp tell tale gets power from the ignition and is grounded to the engine block when the temp rises too high.

Where do I connect to exciter wire from the alternator??

Cheers in advance, Wasim

South Australia
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 11:18:16 AM »

The exciter voltage for the alternator is only required for initial start-up. The temp switch is open at this time so the required voltage will appear at the temp light wire as required. If the motor runs too hot (later on) & the temp switch closes the voltage will disappear, but that won't matter as the alternator has already been 'excited'.

Dr Terry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: