FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:39:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Amp gauge wiring  (Read 3956 times)
Wasim

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2023, 08:33:37 PM »

Hello,
       I've got a Wilsonia gauge and a 55 amp alternator in the ute.

What's the best wiring set up for the amp gauge in the situation?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Wasim

South Australia
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 05:47:08 PM »

I'm "borrowing" from the HD X2 wiring diagram here:

From the ammeter "G" (or positive) terminal, run two fat red wires, one to the alternator B+ terminal, and the second to the main supply terminal of the fuse panel.

From the ammeter "B" (or negative) terminal, run one fat red wire to the big terminal on the starter solenoid where the battery (+) cable connects.

"Fat red wire" means 10 gauge, at a guess 2-1/2 or 3 sq. mm.  They have to carry the alternator's full output (55 A).

Beware:  This circuit is not fused, and has a high current capacity.  If things go wrong, they will go very wrong, very quickly.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Wasim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 09:07:00 PM »

Thank you once again Rob - I’ll try and fit a fuse in somewhere?

I’ll tackle almost everything on the car with some confidence - but with electrics I’m very wary - some might say get an auto electrician - but that defeats the purpose of having the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

That reminds me - need to find an accessible place for an extinguisher 😂😂😂

Cheers, Wasim

South Australia
Brett027

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 11:06:46 AM »

Hi Wasim, are you committed to an ammeter? Voltage guage is much safer and provides useful info. Putting a fuse between alternator and battery runs the risk of damaging the alternator if it blows while charging. With a voltmeter you can fuse all the other circuits with a main fuse, but keep a direct unfused cable between battery and alternator. Modern high output alternators are well beyond the range of common ammeters as well.
If you are running a generator there are no dramas fusing the feed or risk of outgrowing an ammeter😀.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 12:19:00 PM »

Hi Wasim, are you committed to an ammeter? Voltage guage is much safer and provides useful info. Putting a fuse between alternator and battery runs the risk of damaging the alternator if it blows while charging. With a voltmeter you can fuse all the other circuits with a main fuse, but keep a direct unfused cable between battery and alternator. Modern high output alternators are well beyond the range of common ammeters as well.
If you are running a generator there are no dramas fusing the feed or risk of outgrowing an ammeter😀.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

He's using a Wilsonia gauge set, so he is stuck with an ammeter.

Don't use a regular fuse in the 12V supply wire, use a fusible link or a bolt-in type fuse like a Midi or similar.

See here:- https://jaydeeautocables.com.au/products/midi-fuse-holder

Dr Terry
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 09:17:17 PM »

Here's the wiring diagram I used:

(That's right, no wires at all.)
I've got a regular Wilsonia gauge in my FE. I'm rather fond of the car, so I didn't connect the ammeter. Like Rob said, there's a lot of current carried on that wire. All you need is for where it passes through the firewall to wear through the insulation, or discover the hard way it's been getting caught in one of the pedal return springs, or just come loose off the connection, and you'll have a very nasty situation.

Just admire its looks, and treat the ammeter as purely decorative, is my advice.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 11:56:46 AM »
+1

Here's the wiring diagram I used:

(That's right, no wires at all.)
I've got a regular Wilsonia gauge in my FE. I'm rather fond of the car, so I didn't connect the ammeter. Like Rob said, there's a lot of current carried on that wire. All you need is for where it passes through the firewall to wear through the insulation, or discover the hard way it's been getting caught in one of the pedal return springs, or just come loose off the connection, and you'll have a very nasty situation.

Just admire its looks, and treat the ammeter as purely decorative, is my advice.

cheers
RET

I concur.

Dr Terry
Wasim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 07:29:02 PM »

Thank you for all the replies, suggestions and cautions.

Regards, Wasim

South Australia
old-blu
nsw-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 02:20:16 PM »

Settle down guys! I purchased a heap of these gauges @ a clearance sale when I started my restorations back in the eighties. The ammeter section is connected in series into the loom. there is a cutout in the firewall grommet to accommodate the wire feed. The problem you may encounter, is the extra current supplied, should you fit a red motor, or an alternator, rather than a the intended gennie. Any problems I had over time were associated with the oil feed from the block to the gauge. The brass fittings need to be kept firm. I have fitted these gauges to most of my restos with no issues. Google the correct fitting instructions & enjoy with confidence. Kevin. Wink

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 05:22:38 PM »

Have to say I've been running the Wilsonia guage set in a few cars for some time now
Only issue was a slight oil leak in one of them at the guage

No issues apart from that as yet but mine are on grey not red motors all with generators

I have installation instructions somewhere so will post when found

Alex  posted  a feature on a 50 amp version in Accesory of the week, perhaps that model might be more suited to an alternator
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: