FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:09:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sandblasting versus Pickle/Acid dipping  (Read 2014 times)
Magpie 1

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2022, 10:06:15 AM »

Hi All, In the process of removing doors,panels and front/rear windscreens etc prior to full rubber replacement and hood lining. I reside in the Latrobe Valley in Morwell and have approached AsClear to blast panels, however, they have work coming out of their ears and panels are really not their scene, although they could do them in 6 months time. My understanding is that there is no longer any dipping facility out this way especially with the demise of the electrical powerhouses etc. I have not been able to track down a pickle/acid place thus far, hence my inquiry.

My questions therefore are: What is considered the better procedure blasting or pickle/acid dipping?
My understanding is that blasting can create pock marking of the surface, however, with modern paint products etc that can be rectified?
Can anyone suggest the better or preferred method and a suggested facility in or around the greater Melbourne area?
As always I will be grateful of your assistance in this matter. Thank you Happy Easter
KFV888

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 09:55:07 PM »
+1

Hi All, In the process of removing doors,panels and front/rear windscreens etc prior to full rubber replacement and hood lining. I reside in the Latrobe Valley in Morwell and have approached AsClear to blast panels, however, they have work coming out of their ears and panels are really not their scene, although they could do them in 6 months time. My understanding is that there is no longer any dipping facility out this way especially with the demise of the electrical powerhouses etc. I have not been able to track down a pickle/acid place thus far, hence my inquiry.

My questions therefore are: What is considered the better procedure blasting or pickle/acid dipping?
My understanding is that blasting can create pock marking of the surface, however, with modern paint products etc that can be rectified?
Can anyone suggest the better or preferred method and a suggested facility in or around the greater Melbourne area?
As always I will be grateful of your assistance in this matter. Thank you Happy Easter

for panels i use mark at color X in hume street huntingdale, very very good. if you want to blast you have to be very careful who you use, there is blast off in heidelberg run by peter hoarder, very good, or chris at yarra valley blast cleaning, he is my pick. if you want the pickle there is now only one that has tanks big enough in vic and thats a place called recoat and they based in wodonga.
with the modern paint systems it a depends on what you get back after blasting. the car must be immediately washed down and coated in some sort of rust prevention barrier- commonly known as  an epoxy coat then repairs can commence after that, that will protect but wont necessarily fill any pock marks whereas the quality of primer you chose will command the finished product prior to paint. so if in a standard paint scheme in say white for example and not to confuse thngs
 for example. blast/dip then epoxy to seal, repairs to panels and body, epoxy to protect them, then filler, epoxy to seal the repairs, primer and color, easy huh? Wink
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 10:04:42 PM by KFV888 » Logged
geebeefc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 09:07:23 PM »

There is a powder coating/sand blaster in Bairnsdale that has done panel work for me and others on old cars. He is very careful and aware of what can happen if not correctly done. I have had him do the "edges" and openings and around tight areas, door and window openings, guard edges, door edges, firewall, fuel filler openings, etc. I strip the flat panels by hand, like centre of bonnet, roof, door, quarters, boot, etc. I have used him on my FC, Valiant Pacer and will use him to do the same on my Sandman ute. He has also done the heavy items, diffs, chassis, suspension, wheels, etc. on all my cars. Contact me on 0419884298 for more info, if interested. Cheers, Glenn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: