FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:48:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey motor harmonic balancer  (Read 1526 times)
Wookie 66
« on: July 16, 2021, 02:37:32 PM »

Fun times short lived
Now that I’ve had a couple of goes around the block

I think oil is leaking from the harmonic balancer
I was very careful when I put the new seals in and taped it on straight but
Now I’ve gone around the block a few times oil appears to be on the front of the balancer
And hit the fan spraying oil drops all over the place.

This was the original one on the engine it looked good so I reused it

Do I need a new one I have no desire to remove the engine though
DougT

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 03:55:29 PM »

A few questions first. What type of balancer is it, original one with the large metal plate and threaded centre or the replacement one with the three threaded holes? When you replaced the timing cover seal did you lubricate the seal with grease prior to installing the balancer? Was there any evidence of a wear ring/grove on the sealing surface of the balancer? Are you sure it is oil and not residue from the balancer rubber degrading?

If the balancer is the original type is there any movement of the large metal disc, with the fan belt still connected grab the disc and feel for any rotary or lateral movement.

Doug
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 05:17:18 PM »

Trevor,

If the harmonic balancer isn't all the way "home" on the crankshaft, oil can sneak out from behind the balancer, and then out the keyway.  First thing is to make sure you've driven the balancer all the way home.  You don't have to pull the motor out; but the radiator will need to come out.  It's a good idea also to undo the front engine mount nuts under the crossmember outrigger, and jack the motor up (gently) as far as it will go easily - put a block of wood under the sump, just behind the front crossmember.

There's not a huge amount of room between the front of the motor and the grille . . .

If you have the original installing tool for the balancer, use it and a lump hammer to drive the balancer "home".  The heavier the hammer, the better.  If you don't have the installing tool, a piece of wood in front of the balancer is OK, as long as it's big enough to go over all six rivet heads.  Degrease the front of the balancer well.

When it comes time to start the engine, take the fan belt off, and wad some paper towel in the hub of the balancer.  Sit the motor back down on the front mount, and start the motor without the radiator.  You can run it for about a minute.  Stop the engine, pull the paper towel out, and inspect for leaking oil.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: