FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:23:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Holden Sale Numbers - History  (Read 3635 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2021, 10:39:50 PM »
+3

While I have been laid up, I thought I would put some sales figures from a small Victorian country dealership that was given to me by a well-known local and well know Holden enthusiast into a spreadsheet. I only had it in hard copy. It was prompted after watching an episode of Shannon’s Classic Restos where Fletch went to Walla Walla and Holbrook Lieschke Motors.

The figures are for the period that the dealership sold the FC Holden. At the time there was a Ford and Holden Dealership in the small town. From May 58 to December 59, 91 FC Holdens were sold in this time. It gives some idea how much Holden was in demand.

Further to this there were many other dealerships in close proximity, two of the closest Holden competitors were within 30 minutes. Of the 91 Holden’s sold, I am proud to own one of two surviving vehicles that we are aware of, mine being an FC Ute. Good old mallee dirt was not going to bring her down!

Total Sales (10/5/1958 to 22/12/59): 91 (plus another 4 Vauxhall’s)
Panel Van: 1
Standard Sedan: 2
Utility: 15
Special Station Sedan: 16
Special Sedan: 57

I am sure when Ken reads this, he is aware of this information. If you do Ken, I have an interesting question to ask. When did the Body Serial numbers found on the skirt change from using an “8” in front the number to using FC. I was under the impression the “FC” prefix came in for the 1959 range as the “8” represented 1958. However, when I look at the listings, I have an entry / sale on the 23/12/1958 (FC Special Sedan) which has an FC prefix. The previous sale on the 12/12/58 (FC Special Sedan) had an 8 prefix. When I put the Serial Number into the decoder is says that it was assembled in 1959 (mmm) and the engine number was made in December 58.

Anyway, I am sure some of you have similar stories on how successful Holden was during the golden years. My wife said today, “why are you bothering doing this?” My respond was because it is history that we can never get back. I don’t think she understands how significant Holden were.

Cheers Rod
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 07:35:04 AM »
+3

hey Rod ..I love your article ,and there must be hundreds like it , I have posted on here that I tracked down the dealer where I was told my car came from in Orange NSW and they do have records from their dealership , I have tried several times to go there but just haven't managed to get it together  .I hope they don't disappoint me ...and I hope I find the record of our particular 1958 FC225 ...
You mentioned your wife , my wife gets involved when the car is finished with cleaning and polishing ,and rugs and sunglasses and picnic stuff ,you know what I mean ..I restored a Hillman Hunter few years back ,and when we went out there was interest ,and it varies from Wow !! , to "no wonder they went broke,heap of shit " statements to , " I learned to drive on one of these Ford Cortinas " ..people would ask questions of my wife about the Hunter and she would ask me , BUT NOW !! With the Holden going about its totally different ,my wife is staggered in the level of interest ,she has taken an interest and can answer peoples questions quite confidently ,there is genuine serious interest ,people write stuff down ,they know a bit about them even if not a car enthuasist ,and of course every old bloke has had one and every uncle and granpop has had one ,However Rod FOR ME !!!With other restored vehicles people admire and wish you well , but with a Holden ,they thank you,you have kept their dream alive ,just by being an Australian they have a emotional attachment to Holden ,if they have heard Holden has gone forever ,Australais iconic own car is dead ,well its not and here is proof ,and they love it and thank you for keeping the history alive and well ..the Lion with his paw on the world lives forever...cheers Vern ..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 07:52:36 PM »
+3

Rod, yes I do have the document and it is a great read for studying various aspects of sales in the late fifties.
The numbering changed on the 15th Dec - see letter attached.
It is quite easy to see how an FC stamped car could get sold in late 58 and conversely an 8 stamped car sold in early 59.
Obviously it was Holden’s intention that the 8 cars would be sold in 1958 and the FC cars not sold until 1959, but a sale is a sale I guess.

The entry I found equally interesting was the first FC entry. It has continued the FE chassis number rather than starting at 1001 for the new model.
The second car in the list is properly numbered. I wonder how many FC’s were sold with FE chassis numbering

Ken

Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 10:34:02 PM »

Hi Ken,

I thought you would be all over it. Thank you. The bulletin you have shared is great also.

It is interesting that you mention the first entry. When I put this into my spreadsheet, I made a note that it was likely and error. I thought the 5 may have been incorrectly recorded and hence the number would then be 8/1144/M which would then make it prior to the next entry of 8/1629/M. Now you have shed light on this entry which makes sense. I will edit my spreadsheet.

Cheers for enlightening us further.

Cheers Rod
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 07:16:54 AM »

Hi Ken ..I note the GMH letter you have posted refers to " Victoria Zone " and cars produced at Fishermens Bend ,did the same system apply in Sydney Pagewood Plant and the new FC prefix change take place there also ? ..thanks Vern ..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 04:36:40 PM »

Yes I believe so, there would have been a separate letter sent from each vehicle manufacturing plant to their zones. So the Sydney factory would have sent a letter to all NSW and QLD dealerships.
But the decision overall would have come from the head office.
My collection of data indicates that all factories started stamping FC prefixes on the chassis at roughly the same time - that is, the start of 1959.

Ken
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 05:26:19 PM »

Thanks Rod. You’ve started an interesting discussion. I note in the sales figures there were no standard station sedans sold.
Cheers, Ken
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 10:34:47 AM »
+1

Do you have the FE set Rod?
A quick scan through revealed the following
51 special sedans
8 standard sedans
4 business sedans
4 special wagons
1 standard wagon
7 FJ utes
16 FE utes
2 FJ vans
4 FE vans
1 Chev sedan and 1 Bedford truck

Ken
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 10:24:19 PM »
+2

Hi Ken and Ken,

There are no Standard Station Sedans on the list. I have a little theory on this which I will talk to more below.

Thank you Ken for sharing the FE (and FJ Ute/Panel Van) sales figures. No I haven't got this list but when I see Greg next I will ask if I could get a copy or when I am am "back home". Greg gave me the FC figures as he knew my ute was on the list and I had a interest in it history. While I do have an FE Sedan, it wasn't purchased at this dealership as far as I am aware. What I take from these figures is that there were more Standard and Business variants sold during this period than during the FC period even though the total sales were slightly more by your figures.

I have a little theory on the number of sales during the FE / FC period in this small country victorian / mallee town but also the slight differences between what Ken and I have supplied. In growing up in this area you always knew when there had been a good season for the wheat crops etc... - Farmers would be driving around in new cars (no doubt now it would be 4x4's now). I am sure it would be much the same during the 50's.

Looking back to historical records during this time, the seasons were very good, and floods led to the filling of Lake Albacutya, which is close by to this town (Noramlly dry). The season would have been good in 56, the beginning of the FE era but continued until 1959, the end of the FC. Buying a Standard or Business would have been like buying a stock standard Commodore, while the Special variants would have been like getting a Calais. In 1956/7 there may have been a hesitency to busy the Specials not knowing what future seasons might look like, but as the successful seasons continued in 57/58 they would be a great ease in buying "Specials"

Anyway, that is a theory I have.

Cheers Rod
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 10:14:59 AM »

Rod I totally understand your theory, I grew up in regional Victoria between Ballarat and Geelong where my grandfather had a sheep farm. My father and my uncle worked on the farm through the 50’s onwards until we left in 1972.
I think there is also a link to wool prices for the year and how many lambs were produced.
My grandfather got a brand new Etna maroon and Castle grey FE special sedan in 1957, but didn’t get a next new car until FB. This was a yellow and white sedan, followed closely by a new green and white EK special in 1961.
My father was only starting out on his farm so we could not afford new Holden’s, we bought second hand.

Ken
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 12:27:57 PM »

Ken, this information really adds to our experiences and for some of us, the reason why we have FE / FC. No doubt this is the reason why you have such a vast knowledge of these models which we all benefit from. Have you ever been able track down your Grandfathers cars / follow their history?

I have just watched another Custom Resto about a dealership in South Australia. Another great story.

The other thing I forgot to mention about the figures I posted was the interest I had in the people who purchased these cars etc... Many have passed on but I remember them when I was young.

Anyway, have a great weekend all.

Cheers Rod
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2021, 07:26:42 PM »
+1

Yes Rod, I am passionate about the history, sometimes too much I think. You would love looking through some of the stuff I have.

Never found what happened to my grandfather’s FE, it was traded rather than left on the farm, I have the plates which I am happy about

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: