FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:57:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Clutch an brake cans  (Read 5504 times)
TroyH
nsw-club

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2021, 01:48:23 PM »

Hi. My fc has the original clutch and brake cans.Iam wondering if there is a plastic reservoir that will screw in place of the cans. The ones I have seen are are a different thread. Also has anyone restored these cans before. Maybe lined the inside and painted the outside?
Billy Blackarrow

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 01:50:46 PM »

See what BLACKY did on the FB / EK forum

BILLY BLACKARROW
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 02:35:00 PM »

They changed thread sizes at some stage and there are a few of the earlier size kicking around in plastic but not common like the later ones. I have a spare plastic one in the earlier size, which I bought thinking it would fit. Lesson learnt. If you want to go plastic I can sell you the one I bought but you'll need to find a partner for it. Assuming it is the earlier style master cylinder you have.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
TroyH
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 03:33:42 PM »

Thanks for the offer but looking for a really tidy set. So Iam guessing I can’t buy anything new to fit my thread?
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 04:43:30 PM »
+1

Troy,

I've had the original reservoirs zinc-plated.  They come up OK after plating, but beware: the zinc-plating process reveals pin-holes, which you will need to solder up.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
TroyH
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 05:34:22 PM »

Thanks Rob. Where did you have yours done?
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 07:38:15 PM »

Electroplating Technology in Queanbeyan: 6297 0535 and ask for Shane.
I have had good service from them.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 08:51:46 PM »

Another option go to the later master cylinders I suppose. Alloy rather than iron but otherwise the same. I have a few of them as well, not that I'm looking to get rid of them particularly but I won't use them now.

Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 07:58:10 AM »

Another option go to the later master cylinders I suppose. Alloy rather than iron but otherwise the same.

All Holden master cylinders from FE to HR were alloy, the cast iron ones are all aftermarket.

The thread at the bottom of the reservoir changed when Holden introduced disc brake (July 1965) & they went to plastic ones.

There are aftermarket plastic units to fit the early thread (made by ABS) you do still see them at swap meets, but they are getting harder to find.

In my mind, the best set-up is original early cylinders, re-sleeved in stainless with ABS reservoirs.

While I like the tin cans from a concours point of view, they are not as practical is the ABS ones.

Dr Terry
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 09:45:22 AM »

Thanks for clarifying Dr T. Why do you prefer the early MC over the later (shall we say HD, HR and HK clutch)? The later thread seem to be more common at least I  my collection. Appearance wise they seem virtually identical.

TroyH
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 08:01:01 AM »

Thanks for all the help. I will try and locate a couple of good abs plastic ones
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 09:10:24 AM »

Thanks for clarifying Dr T. Why do you prefer the early MC over the later (shall we say HD, HR and HK clutch)? The later thread seem to be more common at least I  my collection. Appearance wise they seem virtually identical.

Probably being a bit too fussy, but the early cylinders have BRAKE & CLUTCH cast into them in a font that is correct for the era. Not only is the thread different is also larger in diameter. Quite noticeable if you sit them side by side.

From a concours judging point of view, early cylinders with the ABS reservoirs would be more 'era correct' than using HD/HR units.

Dr Terry

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 01:13:45 PM »

Fair enough.

Troy,
As I said earlier I reckon I have a few of the earlier ABS plastic reservoirs I don’t need. Can post some pictures if you are interested. Would like to see them used.
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TroyH
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 05:59:34 PM »

Yes I would like to see some photos please
TroyH
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 09:09:39 PM »

Clay. Keen to see some photos please
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 11:03:51 AM »

First photo are ones fitted to my car which are on after market PBR cylinders, the later or at least larger thread reservoirs. I thought I had more of them but haven't found any yet.

Second photo original Holden brake MC. You can read the part number. The rest are to suit this early cylinder which has a smaller thread. Will check MPC to verify.

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 11:13:42 AM »

4.650 Cylinder Assembly Body and Reservoir.
Body  FE FC FB EK ........ 7424484 (SMALLER thread.

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 11:18:28 AM »

Some photos got scrambled but you get the gist. They are all good usable condition not marked or brittle. Some of the plastic a bit dull but can be rejuvenated. The reservoirs themselves have a milky opacity which looks original. Can see the fluid level no problem.
Cheers
Clay

old-blu
nsw-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 12:29:52 PM »

The 3 m/cylinders on the LHS are originals with the larger threaded opening.  The 2 on the RHS are PBR Replacement m/cylinders with the narrower opening to suit the plastic reservoirs. All have been re-sleeved with s/s liners.    Kevin.

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
TroyH
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2021, 01:33:43 PM »

Any chance you could ring me on 0404262535
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: