FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 30, 2024, 02:49:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Motor Water Pump  (Read 5617 times)
Papabear56

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2020, 06:47:30 PM »

HI
This Forum site is one of the best I'm associated with, response come in quickly and seem to be always good advise.
Still looking for more help for my FJ.
Where can I buy a Water Pump overhaul kit, they used to be everywhere, now I'm only able to locate new replacement complete pumps.
Mine after sitting for 35 years is good, bearing not making noise and impeller is not corroded, but with engine out for cleaning the engine bay I thought it prudent to overhaul the pump.

Cheers
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 07:00:06 PM »

The bearing's turning freely, impeller not corroded: good sign.  Check the diagonal "vent" holes for rusty stains.  If there are none, all is good, and your water pump's good for further use.

I am still running the original, now seventy-year-old water pump in my FX.  I figure I will re-kit it if and only if it gets noisy or leaks water.

Kits are available from Auto Surplus in Melbourne for about $100.00, but you'll need to shorten the shaft so it doesn't stick out forwards of the pulley hub.  The fancy Tool 6A13-1 is a six-inch length of 3" water pipe welded to a base.

Aftermarket water pumps have the following "features": a machined pulley hub which distorts your pulley when you bolt it on, unless you groove the hub with a Dremel to clear the ribs on the pulley; a shaft which sticks out too far at the front (an angle grinder cures this real quick); and bolt holes which frequently don't line up with the block and bend the generator bracket (rectify with file).

Just as a matter of curiosity, is yours still a wide-fanbelt, six-volt FJ?

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Papabear56

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 06:04:29 PM »

The bearing's turning freely, impeller not corroded: good sign.  Check the diagonal "vent" holes for rusty stains.  If there are none, all is good, and your water pump's good for further use.

I am still running the original, now seventy-year-old water pump in my FX.  I figure I will re-kit it if and only if it gets noisy or leaks water.

Kits are available from Auto Surplus in Melbourne for about $100.00, but you'll need to shorten the shaft so it doesn't stick out forwards of the pulley hub.  The fancy Tool 6A13-1 is a six-inch length of 3" water pipe welded to a base.

Aftermarket water pumps have the following "features": a machined pulley hub which distorts your pulley when you bolt it on, unless you groove the hub with a Dremel to clear the ribs on the pulley; a shaft which sticks out too far at the front (an angle grinder cures this real quick); and bolt holes which frequently don't line up with the block and bend the generator bracket (rectify with file).

Rob
Hi Rob,
Thanks for that I'll get onto their website and try ordering a unit.
Cheers
Papabear56

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 10:08:45 PM »

Hi Rob,
Thanks for that I'll get onto their website and try ordering a unit.
Cheers
No luck with Auto Surplus as they only sell replacement pumps. Anyone have another suggestions for overahaul kit?
Cheers
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 09:51:14 AM »

CBC Bearings or similar bearing suppliers?

Papabear56

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 05:30:22 PM »

CBC Bearings or similar bearing suppliers?
OK next stop I'll give them a whizz
Thanks
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 06:32:44 PM »

Should add that water pump bearings are universal, just about.  But you'll have to shorten the shaft at both ends to match the dimensions of the original.  The seals are available in many flavours.  The important dimensions are the OD of the seal and its depth.

One other thought: buy a red motor water pump and pull it apart for its internals.

Rob

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 07:55:39 PM »

At $27 for a red motor pump that might be the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 09:39:05 PM »

I am sure you will find a sealed bearing for the attached link below.

http://www.nsk.com/common/data/ctrgPdf/e396a.pdf

Cheers
John

Better in Green
Papabear56

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 10:52:59 AM »

OK next stop I'll give them a whizz
Thanks
No luck from them I have found a universal water pump bearing online that will need to be cut to suit.
Thanks for help
Papabear56

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 10:56:12 AM »

Yep the belt is an original GOODYEAR V40 but this number doesn't compute with Good Year Charts, looking at commercial use belt for a replacement for memory back in the day we used to use these as they were cheaper than ones sourced from automotive outlets. Vehicle is to remain 6 Volt.
Cheers

Rob
Papabear56

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 10:58:47 AM »

Should add that water pump bearings are universal, just about.  But you'll have to shorten the shaft at both ends to match the dimensions of the original.  The seals are available in many flavours.  The important dimensions are the OD of the seal and its depth.

One other thought: buy a red motor water pump and pull it apart for its internals.

Rob

Good idea, they seem to be more prevalent to obtain, mate has one I'll take a look at one to see what fits. I'm assuming it not just be the bearing but also the seal I'd need once dismantling the pump.
Cheers
Papabear56

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 11:02:14 AM »

I am sure you will find a sealed bearing for the attached link below.

http://www.nsk.com/common/data/ctrgPdf/e396a.pdf

Cheers
John

Hi
Just checked the link and looks very promising I'll get in touch with them to see which one they recommend to purchase.
Thanks for helping
Cheers
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 11:43:02 AM »

Commercial fan-belt for an FJ: would be a B34.

Rob

Papabear56

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »

Commercial fan-belt for an FJ: would be a B34.

Rob
Thanks Rib
Cheers
DougT

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2020, 11:22:57 AM »

Hi Papabear56, I had a spare red motor water pump and tried to dismantle it but could not get the seal out without damaging it, couldn't get close enough to the edge. When I did get it out I found that it was about an 1/8 of an inch higher than grey motor seal. I was able to locate a seal manufacturer, 'TLANMP', online who have an equivalent red motor seal, part number FB-16. Company is out of China via Singapore and were very good in keeping me informed on the progress of my order. Brought 5 for $22 US,  about $30.00. I needed to reduce the depth of the impeller boss in order to compensate for the higher seal, local auto repair shop was able to lathe it down to 0.590 thou (about 19/32 in). A little tricky installing the bearing as it tends to grab the seal on the way through so had to install shaft in stages and tap seal down so as not to damage it. End result was a functioning water pump. Regards Doug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: