FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:59:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rear speaker accessory for an FE  (Read 2895 times)
texmorton

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2020, 10:12:01 AM »

G'day,

just to clarify something; was the rear speaker available as an accessory for FE's? Not in the NASCO brochure but I have seen a could of pics of them fitted. Possible fitted later on when it was offered for later models? Thanks, Al
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 05:27:54 PM »

I’m not 100% sure but I think it came in about EJ?
As you say, quite easy to retro fit.
Ken
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 08:15:31 PM »

I'm guessing the rear speaker would have been an accessory judging on the shape of the rear parcel shelf:

Art's FC Sedan Build 2.0

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 10:19:41 AM »

Pic from the FX to EJ parts book

But I agree Rob, the circle is there in the rear shelf

Ken
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 02:52:43 PM »
+1

Yeah, I believe that the 1st time Nasco offered the rear speaker kit was for the FB series.

The part number for the kit was superseded a few times, but the earliest number I can find is 7406807. This number lines up with many items which were new for the FB in Jan 1960.

I think that engineering was thinking ahead of sales in those days. The are many items that appeared on FE/FC bodies that weren't utilised until the FB, just like the real speaker cut-out.

Have close look at the FC firewall, you can see where the 2 master cylinders & the handbrake for LHD export cars would mount. These weren't used until Mid-1960 FB.

Dr Terry
texmorton

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 09:58:55 AM »

Thanks for your your responses, seems to have cleared it up for me. I am restoring an early FE and the rear parcel shelf is a bit different to the later wreck i have on hand. Early shelf is dead flat all the way across, later one has strengthening ribs pressed into it but not sure if it has the cut out for the rear speaker or not as pretty rusty there.

Al
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 08:38:13 PM »
+1

The strengthening ribs in the parcel tray were part of a suite of changes made in late '56, after complaints from customers who had back windows fall out. Real early FEs (like mine, and apparently yours) neither have this ribbing, nor the braces that extend from the top of the wheel arch to the parcel shelf. On Specials, the stainless trim around the back window was also modified.

You will also find the rear wheel arch is only a single skin, whereas later cars have a double-skin here. This was also about reducing flex in the body.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
texmorton

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 09:42:20 AM »

Thanks RET, still plenty to learn about these cars as never realized that is why things are a bit different between early and late production cars. Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: