FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:30:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE front door hinge clips  (Read 2275 times)
JohnBM
wa-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2020, 06:04:35 PM »

I’m in the process of re setting my doors , I’ve noticed that kits available show only two clips used on the top hinge only.( the clip stops the door from closing if you want to keep it open for some reason) but on my FE on the passenger side there is two clips top & two on the bottom . On the driver side there is only the two at the top . Anyone know how it came out of the factory. Photo is of left hand side (passenger) bottom hinge showing broken clip

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 08:35:08 PM »

John,

It was usual practice for only the top hinge to have the hold-open springs, but since top and bottom hinges are the same apart from the springs, I wouldn't be surprised that some cars (like yours) escaped from the factory with both top and bottom hinges having hold-open springs.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 07:26:58 AM »

John ..I had exactly same problem as you ,there is a post on here of mine like yours and another Vic member kindly sent me part hinge kit , I replaced the one broken spring ,as hinge pins are good ,but it didn't hold door open ,so we bent the new spring and the old spring ,where they " peak " inwards and holds ok now ..Rares have three kit options , and as top and bottom hinges are drilled for rivets ,you could do both , kit number DHR1001B,you will need 2 kits if doing both doors ,the unknown is will you have to be tarzan to close door if you do both hinges ,with a huge pull handle , Holden would have fitted 4 springs per door by 1957 if felt needed ..we examined our hinges for wear at the point on the arm where it goes back and forth over the spring ,quite expecting to find a groove , build up with weld and dress it back to original size ,not so ,and hinge pin movement , none on passenger side ,tiny bit on drivers side ,yours may well be different at those points also ..hinge pin wear can be a bugger ,you can hold the door open and lift up and down at handle end , " clunk " , "clunk "and visible movement at pin,"note brass bushes in pin kit "..some times no movement ,but when you close the door you find yourself lifting the door handle to get a clean close shut .and when you don't lift , more effort is needed and you feel a " clunk " and slight jump of lock over striker..that's pin wear ..isn't there a song ?  " from little things big things grow "  cheers Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
JohnBM
wa-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 09:54:08 AM »

Very interesting there Vern , & appreciate your time in letting me know your experience. The driver side is the main culprit. I have a mate in the club who has a FC & has been down this road . So I’ll advise him of what you have said . Thanks very much . I’ll post on here when it’s done .(hopefully).                                                And also thanks to you ROB for the reply.  Cheers John.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 01:36:38 PM »

FB a nd EK use the same hinges and only the top ones came with the springs.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: