FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:19:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Internal rear vision mounting screws  (Read 4492 times)
Snoop

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2020, 09:51:26 AM »

Morning guys my Ute has a crappy after market stick on rear vision mirror have purchased a new no’s mounting bracket from one guy and a second hand mirror I think all I need now is the two course threaded chrome screws that secure the stalk to the roof. So if someone has two happy to purchase. Also any ideas on how to remove old mirror that’s been stuck onto windscreen. Also been chasing and old fashion weather shield with blue or red top section like old blue has on his beautiful Ute that is for sale. Any leads appreciated.
Cheers Snoop (peter)
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 12:24:49 PM »

Hi mate, can’t help with the screws but the mirror stuck to the screen could be problematic. Most stuck on mirrors are there to stay, the two part glue used is normally very strong and in most instances will break a chunk of glass out of the screen or crack it all together when being removed if it’s a laminated screen. Depending on the type of mirror it will be either screwed or a slip on over the base plate, so you can remove the mirror and leave the base on the screen. I’ve never tried, but you could see if acetone will soften the glue as all the screens I replace either have a new base on the screen or I just break the old one off and reglue it to the new screen.

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 01:08:50 PM »

Thanks fcwrangler will try the acetone first no hurry so maybe a few applications might work can you still get new windscreens for them do you know ?  (Just in case)
How’s your project going?
Cheers Peter
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 01:28:22 PM »

Thanks fcwrangler will try the acetone first no hurry so maybe a few applications might work can you still get new windscreens for them do you know ?  (Just in case)
How’s your project going?
Cheers Peter

Hi Peter, apart from the odd second hand one - you can also buy them new. I don't know anything about the product but there is at least a couple where you can get new screens:

https://glass4classics.com.au/product/fe-fc-holden-front-windscreen-new/

https://www.autoglasswarehouse.com.au/holden-fe-fc-1-1956-to-1-1959-sedan-wagon-ute-pane
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 06:01:32 PM »

Because we’ve moved into a retirement village I’ve had to leave the car at a mates place so I get to it when I can. With all the new laws with the virus, I haven’t been able to do anymore work on it since March.
New screens are available and I’m still doing a bit of work here and there, so depending on where you are, I may be able to help you out if you need.

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 08:33:32 PM »

I would try and knock it off with side impact using hammer and chisel. Then I would probably break the screen and buy a new one. They are surprisingly affordable, considering the prices put on second hand ones on gumtree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 04:55:51 PM »

Hi Guys thanks for advise again,thought I would share picture of my new (old ) replacement rear vision mirror which included original packaging which was a nice surprise.
Cheers Peter

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 06:30:27 PM »

This is the mirror that would have been in the box

The original owner fitted the mirror and put the old one back in the box
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 06:42:42 PM »

Interesting snoop. I have a wider one.

Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 07:50:06 PM »

Thought that might have been the case mcl.
Still haven’t got screws to mount it !  I thought I would try one of the screws from the sun visor it fitted into the stork ok but the thread wouldn’t bite into whatever it connects to under  the hood lining.  Could I ask someone to take one of their mirror mounting screws out and see if they interchange with the Sunvisor if it does then I will try again with a bit more force.
Thanks Peter
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 08:42:26 PM »

Question Without Notice for Ken:

It was an FJ thing that some commercial vehicles came without an internal rearview mirror, but with an external rearview mirror,  because of different state traffic regulations.

Did this situation also occur with FE/FC commercials?

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
FE_UTE
wa-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 11:43:18 PM »

Peter the screws are interchangeable ..I took them out and swapped them all ok and they look the same
This is the fitting instructions for a Ute but the holes will be in the same place as a sedan

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 08:04:34 AM »

Pete  .As you are working with things that have been changed over the years ,you are wise to go carefully ,I see FE Ute has confirmed visor/ mirror screws were originally the same ,but are yours now Huh some sixty years later ,its a trial and error thing,at least you have got the length as a known ,I would try a few around the size and it will feel right and work ... Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 08:49:20 AM »

Hi Pete, I’m with Rob, if the roof lining hasn’t been changed there should be holes in it where the mirror was? If there are no holes, it would suggest there never was a mirror fitted. In which case, there is a couple of things you can do.
a. gently rub around the area and see if you can feel the holes.
b. if no holes find the centre between the visors, place some masking tape on the roof lining and place the mirror in position and mark the holes. Use the correct size bit and carefully drill the holes and fit the mirror.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 09:00:41 AM »

The wide mirror with the Nasco tab is FB EK EJ EH era. You will find that you can’t put the visors down with that mirror in place. The FE FC one is narrower for that reason
Ken
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2020, 09:21:44 AM »

I have the screws for the mirror. The are a dome head countersunk phillips drive self tapper. They are chrome plated

Whether or not the headliner has holes in it, there will be holes in the panel above the roof liner. I would suggest placing the mirror centrally at the correct orientation where the lip on the bracket goes over the edge. Then use a pin to locate the holes

Ken
Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »

Amazing that someone has original fitting instructions! Thanks for everyone’s input again. There are two existing holes in the what I’m sure is the original headlining it’s where I tried to mount mirror with one of the screws out of the sun visor but could not get thread to start I’ll try some smaller self tappers and see what happens.
Cheers All

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: