FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:12:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC ute doors  (Read 7361 times)
fcute

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2020, 01:08:10 AM »

Hi all, are FC ute doors door frames different to FC sedan doors. My door seals along the rear edge of the door come nowhere near close to sealing against the body on the rear edge.

Thanks in advance
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 09:18:27 AM »

The trouble will be along the rear edge of the door from the waistline down?
The original door seal rubber had a deeper profile in this region than the aftermarket ones.  The only way I've found to make the aftermarket door rubber seal against the door frame is not to push it all the way into the groove, and instead cant it so the lip of the seal makes contact with the door.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 09:57:13 AM »

To answer the OP's question, yes the FE/FC Ute doors are unique to the Utes.

The top rear corner is rounded, whereas the sedan, wagon & van doors are squared off. (FB/EK van doors also do this).

The part no. for the Ute door seal is also different to that of the sedan.

Dr Terry
fcute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 11:36:53 PM »

Thank you, another question are the ute door seals available? If so where from? And do Utes have an inner door seals as per sedans? My ute looks to have never had inner seals.

Thanks Dave
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 12:04:08 PM »

Yes Rare Spares has them, utes did have inner door seals

Ken
fcute

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »

Thank you
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 06:20:41 PM »

whats an inner door seal look like?

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 08:51:59 PM »

Thank you, another question are the ute door seals available? If so where from? And do Utes have an inner door seals as per sedans? My ute looks to have never had inner seals.

Thanks Dave

They have an inner seal and windlacing,  no outerseal
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 06:53:11 PM »

im still lost .are we talking about the pinchweld seal now?

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 08:14:58 PM »

I’ll stretch my memory and venture that the outer seal is rubber comma section with wider bits along the scuff plate area, on our FC special at least. Inner seal was only the fancy pinch weld or may have been D-section rubber as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 09:21:14 PM »

im still lost .are we talking about the pinchweld seal now?

I usually refer to the harder rubber seal - not sure if they all have metal in the middle - as pinchweld.

Windlacing is like cording in upholstery - fabric covering a rubber/foam core that goes on the innerdoor opening
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 09:33:17 PM »

windlacing - as I said = this is what I call them, I'm no expert but to show the diff

IMG_0493 by Helen Sheedy, on Flickr
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 09:34:13 PM »

pinchweld

Pinchweld-black-PW-001-2 by Helen Sheedy, on Flickr

Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 09:51:48 PM »

I'm hoping my understanding is correct - the windlacing is pushed inside the same "alligator" strip that the headlining is pushed into around the doors - I haven't done mine yet - been scratching my head about how to remove the two pack overspray that was on my headlining !!! Last weekend bit the bullet and took it off with paint stripper (put on and quickly wiped off!). It is better but still has a pinkstain :-(
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 11:13:57 PM »

There seems to be a lot of confusion here, early Holdens don’t have a pinchweld mould, that came out in later models and was used around the body openings to hide the headliner. Depending on the model, it was either plain as pictured by Roybeth or with a rubber seal glued on which then formed the door seal.
The early Holdens had a rubber inner and outer seal that was installed into channels around the door openings and the gap that was left between the headliner and the door openings was taken up by the windlacing as stated again by Roybeth. It’s been a while since I pulled my sedan apart, but from memory, the inner door seals run up the inner section of the “B” pillar front and rear from the waistline up to the roofline and the outer door seal runs around the whole door opening.

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
fcute

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 01:55:16 AM »

I picked up the outer door seals for the ute today, they are half right. They have no mitred corner at the top rear curve of the door window frame so will fit nicely around the curve. But rear edge around waistline height down the seal profile is a problem as it does not protrude enough. Post number two by Adiesse is spot on.

If anyone has a chance it would be handy to have a pick of a ute showing the inner seal not the wind lacing.

Thanks for the info and discussion
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 07:50:46 AM »

Roybeth and.fc ute...I have done my windlacing recently ,purchased from Daleys here in Sydney,it looks same as yours with the white rubber inner , I kept the hood lining that was in the car as it is in good condition ,I went along the alligator clip trail with a plastic kitchen spatula and opened it all up ,probably 3/8'' wide , and carefully got out the old windlacing,and any old rotted bits that wanted to stay in there ,brushed it out with soft brush,and having read what Stinky has posted on here and kindly emailed me ,the two pieces of plain webbing running the length are doubled over and pushed into the channel ,so its four thicknesses that you push in ,I put the fold outwards ,you actually make the fold as you push it in ,by outwards I mean you have the rolled section on hood lining side ,the double strips facing outwards across the channel and you push in the centre so it effectively folds it again as it goes in and pulls the patterened section up to hood lining frame join,this way the alligator clips are gripping the straight side of lacing and holds it in place ,then carefully go along the channel and tap the clips closed..a block of soft wood wrapped in cloth..I also used a clear Selleys adhesive ..This was in my special sedan , I cant say for a ute ,assume method would be same ..stay well Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 09:03:31 AM »

I have a correction to make in my post from last night, the inner door seal actually goes from top to bottom, not from the waistline as I had stated. It kept me awake for a while thinking about it, so I checked it out and found a picture of the seal in place on a used pillar that confirmed my suspicions.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 01:39:31 PM »

I have a correction to make in my post from last night, the inner door seal actually goes from top to bottom, not from the waistline as I had stated. It kept me awake for a while thinking about it, so I checked it out and found a picture of the seal in place on a used pillar that confirmed my suspicions.
Jim

Door seal and windlacing aligator strip1 by Helen Sheedy, on Flickr

Hi Jim - are you referring to the windlacing? I thought the Ute's didn't have an inner seal?
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 05:56:31 PM »

ah ha

door showing origin lacing and seal by Helen Sheedy, on Flickr

pic of another ute we owned briefly I'ld say original bits

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)