FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 30, 2024, 02:45:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Windscreen trim fitting  (Read 3093 times)
Roybeth

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2020, 07:07:46 PM »

Hi all
looking at putting my front windscreen in - have the special rubber and the stainless trim. finding it tricky putting the trim in around the bottom, the trim doesn't seem to curve enough, put one end in and the other end pops up by quite a bit, any tricks to getting the trim to stay in place in the rubber prior to putting in in the opening?
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 08:13:00 PM »

Wide masking tape

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 08:55:49 PM »

Shop manual says that the reveal mould retaining groove is L-shaped, and that the reveal moulds are similarly shaped.  So, they're like the ones on later Holdens.

You need to use dishwashing liquid and lots of it.  Peel the mould retaining groove back with your fingers and paint dishwashing liquid well into the groove.  It has to get right down to the bottom.  Then, lube up the L-shaped bit of the stainless mould.  Install the stainless reveal mould in the groove, and push it down well down.  With thumb on mould and forefinger-fist under the rubber, push the mould into the rubber until the return of the L engages in the bottom of the slot. You'll need the fingers of a physiotherapist for this.  It's just hard work.  You'll know you've got the mould correctly seated in the groove when the outer part of the rubber sits flat against the long part of the L in the mould.  If you get it right, you can almost hear the mould "click" into place in the groove.

While you're doing this, the windscreen rubber will tend to fall off the windscreen, until the moulds are seated correctly, at which point they'll hold the rubber onto the screen.

If the moulds and rubber don't want to play ball, use more dishwashing liquid.  Give the rubber a bath in hot water if it's really unco-operative.  Warm rubber is more flexible and easier to insert the moulds into.

Best of British . . . it really is a pig of a job.  B.T.W., you don't have to contend with this if you use a Standard/commercial windscreen rubber.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 07:49:27 AM »

Helen ..Worth a call to Jim the FC Wrangler ..Vern  ..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 08:11:35 AM »

I did mine recently. After several unsuccessful attempts to get the L of the trim to seat properly in the rubber I had a close look and realised that the trim was a bit distorted. I found i had to gently bend the L of the trim so that it met the rubber groove squarely. it then "clicked" into place - job done. I figure the SS trim must have got a bit distorted whilst I removed the original windscreen from the car and/or when i pulled the trim out of the original, very hard, rubber. Cheers, Fraze
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 10:11:09 AM »
+1

The first thing I would suggest would be to lay the mould on the glass without the rubber, this will show if the mould is out of shape. Place the mould on the glass with the lip against the edge, the mould should sit flush with the outer surface of the glass. If it’s as out of shape as you say, you’ll never get it to fit.
Secondly, you need to make sure the moulds are clean and free of dirt and old sealer on both sides of the leg.
With due respect to Rob, the best way to fit the moulds is to spray each mould with WD40 or similar on both sides of the leg. I always start with a side mould, as this helps with positioning for the top mould (which I fit next) then the other side and finally the lower mould making sure the screw holes are even on both sides.
You need to press the moulds down with the palm of your hand and pull the inner side of the rubber up with your fingers, you will feel the mould pop into place and as Rob said, hear a click or pop as the rubber fits around the mould.
If you still have dramas, send me a message or give me a call 0419632935.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: