FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:06:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: inner door moisture seal plastic - or whatever they call them  (Read 3018 times)
Roybeth

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2020, 10:35:15 AM »

Can you buy these - I know Australian door cards make some but doesn't appear to have them for FC's - or do we just have to make our own from plastic sheeting?
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 11:44:18 AM »

Helen,

It's easiest to make your own from heavy-duty plastic sheeting - say the kind used in building sites, or the heaviest gauge plastic bag material you can find.  The plastic is stretched into place and held in at the bottom of the door opening by the nylon door trim caps.  But use lots of spray contact adhesive, and make sure there's a watertight seal all the way around.  It also helps to waterproof the back of the door trim card with something like Bar-D-Kay or even varnish.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Longman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 02:40:37 PM »

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/car-builders-four-door---door-restore-kit/SPO7481140.html?cgid=SCA01100304#start=24
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 06:56:34 PM »

Yep, i used forticon (what rob suggested), and contact on my last build. That super cheap might be better. It's not dear but my car only has two doors 'n' I'm stingy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 07:27:30 PM »

Yep, i used forticon (what rob suggested), and contact on my last build. That super cheap might be better. It's not dear but my car only has two doors 'n' I'm stingy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Grin Grin Grin
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 07:43:21 AM »

Helen ..I have just done mine ,made my own ,made a paper template ,your doing a ute ,so only need one template ,remember to reverse the material when you cut for second door, I used water proof cloth from Spotlight ..Its a medium weight canvas with a plastic film on one side ,I am quite happy with outcome,time will tell ,I used contact adhesive ,and as Rob said also included the plastic plugs that hold the bottom edge of the card ..Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 09:53:32 PM »

Helen,
If you have not already done so, when you make the plastic moisture seal and install it, seal the top and two sides and make a small slit in each corner at the bottom and tuck the bottom section inside the door. Do it in reverse and you can seal the bottom first and work your way up to the top.

Cheers

Weddo
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 08:28:41 AM »

Hi All

Probably a little while off before I put door cards on - everythings going very slowly - too much work and too many projects :-( .
And of course when I go to finish off that "quick" job, I find more needs to be done or while doing that job you find all these other little things that "probably should be done while I'm at it and got it all open …..!"
I do have the plastic plugs to use - thanks for the tips.

Helen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: