FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:22:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Thermostat  (Read 1929 times)
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2019, 05:59:13 PM »

After a very long time I have got the old girl fired up again. My big thanks to all who have helped me on this forum. Pete Mallaby, Ellis French, Rob AKA Ardiesse, and anyone else I have forgtotten.
Not the same engine ... one I bought as Im going to rebuild ( again) the engine that was in it at a later date.

Trying to tune etc the temp got over 200 deg at idle for not very long. It is a new thermostat .... ill replace it anyway but are there cooler thermostats available??

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 06:02:05 PM »

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 10:14:58 PM »

Considering how hot it's been over the last few days, you're excused if the temperature got over 200 (F) at idle.  But the boiling point with a 7 psi radiator cap is 226 F (I think), so there's some headroom.

A lumpy cam will tend to make the engine run hotter at idle too.  Make sure your ignition timing is advanced.  Lean idle mixtures won't help either.

I'd suggest using a 160 F/70 C thermostat.  Tridon makes a high-flow-rate thermostat, but I don't know if they come in 160 degrees though.

A late EK or EJ fan might help - coarser pitch blades, with a notch taken out of the trailing edges so not to hit the harmonic balancer.

Radiator core not blocked, I hope?  You may also have to use a three-row radiator core.  And also the 7424869 head gasket.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: