FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:31:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sound Deadener  (Read 3337 times)
Roybeth

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2019, 06:54:44 AM »

Hi All

Looking at putting sound deadener matting inside my ute's cabin - under the floor mat, doors - and the backwall.

any recommendations?

things to avoid?

TIA
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 07:28:19 AM »

Hi ..I have purchased the pre adhesive " Dedner " sheets from Daleys .only to use in doors.I will be proofing the doors inside with KBS which I have used on floor and inner guards already and very happy ,mainly in doors to take away the metallic " clink " ..I haven't used them yet ,better be good they are not cheap..but nothing cheap ever is..cheers Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 07:34:17 AM »

I went for Dynamat for both my EK wagon and daughter's EK ute. Its not cheap, but it sticks like dog poo to an army blanket. What worried me with the cheaper brands is the risk of them coming unstuck. No big deal on the floors, but the roof sits in full sun. If the roof comes unglued, you have to remove the hoodlining. To remove the hoodlining, you are likely to have to remove the front screen. I ain’t touching that screen again.

The metal surfaces were hit with rust killer (deoxidine), then two coats of black epoxy, brushed on.

I bought the large size Dynamat sheets (18”x32”). The wagon floor took 11 sheets (I did not do the cargo area). The ute floor took 6 sheets. The wagon roof took 9 sheets. The ute roof took 3 sheets. The cut edges of Dynamat are sharp. I used Dynatape to seal them in (3/4 roll per vehicle). No big drama if they are under the carpet, but it would be just my luck to lift the carpet to work on something and slice myself open. Bunnings sells aluminium duct tape that would do the same job.

Put the sheets out in the sun before fitting - it softens the mastic, making them easier to bend. Buy a fancy little roller from Bunnings to roll the material into all the crevices. Poke a podgy up from under the car to mark the bolt holes in the floorpan, then run a stanley knife around the podgy tip to cut out a circle of dynamat. Do not just poke holes and drive the bolts through the dynamat... the black mastic is a bugger on threads.

Cheers,
Harv
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 07:49:58 AM »

I used Resomat on my ute, I think it is the same as Dynamat but different brand. Sticky as hell and a bugger to get the adhesive off your hands. Very easy to "form" i used the handle of a screwdriver to push it into the grooves in the floor and back panel behind the seat. Cheers, Fraze
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 01:39:55 PM »

thanks everyone for the tips as well
 Smiley
fcute

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 01:55:54 AM »

I went for Dynamat for both my EK wagon and daughter's EK ute. Its not cheap, but it sticks like dog poo to an army blanket. What worried me with the cheaper brands is the risk of them coming unstuck. No big deal on the floors, but the roof sits in full sun. If the roof comes unglued, you have to remove the hoodlining. To remove the hoodlining, you are likely to have to remove the front screen. I ain’t touching that screen again.

The metal surfaces were hit with rust killer (deoxidine), then two coats of black epoxy, brushed on.

I bought the large size Dynamat sheets (18”x32”). The wagon floor took 11 sheets (I did not do the cargo area). The ute floor took 6 sheets. The wagon roof took 9 sheets. The ute roof took 3 sheets. The cut edges of Dynamat are sharp. I used Dynatape to seal them in (3/4 roll per vehicle). No big drama if they are under the carpet, but it would be just my luck to lift the carpet to work on something and slice myself open. Bunnings sells aluminium duct tape that would do the same job.

Put the sheets out in the sun before fitting - it softens the mastic, making them easier to bend. Buy a fancy little roller from Bunnings to roll the material into all the crevices. Poke a podgy up from under the car to mark the bolt holes in the floorpan, then run a stanley knife around the podgy tip to cut out a circle of dynamat. Do not just poke holes and drive the bolts through the dynamat... the black mastic is a bugger on threads.

Cheers,
Harv

Is there a noticeable difference in the level of sound with the use of Dynomat?
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 07:15:44 AM »

Is there a noticeable difference in the level of sound with the use of Dynomat?

It's hard to tell in the wagon, as the SBC is noisy (and so is the Holley red fuel pump  Roll Eyes). The ute however is very quiet - I'm quite happy with the Dynamat performance.

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 07:42:30 AM »

Bought a box of Underdog which is cheaper. It was highly recommended by Jason on the FX FJ forum. One box is apparently enough to do a Ute cab. I haven't fitted it yet.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk
old-blu
nsw-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 11:56:28 AM »

Used in the fit up of my FE Ute.  Good result. Cheers  old-blu

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...