FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:16:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rear Axle Oil Seal  (Read 3180 times)
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2019, 04:59:02 PM »

Hi everyone. About 3000 miles ago I fitted new seals and bearings to the rear axle of my August 57 FE. Right backing plate is now lightly coated with oil and a leak is evident where axle housing passes through the backing plate. Rang Rares and CBC Bearings and got the same story.
FJ and FE models up to chassis # 43428 are one type. FE's after this and all FC are a different seal/part number.

Can anyone confirm please?  Huh My chassis number is 727981S

Cheers, Ken
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 06:58:13 PM »

Completely wrong

Front wheel bearings changed mid FE model at Victorian chassis number 43428M

Rear wheel bearing for FE is N954555 - same for FC
Rear wheel axle seal for FE is 7409877 - same for FC

Ken
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 07:24:28 AM »

Thanks Ken  Smiley Smiley
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 10:00:51 AM »

Ken (1),

I've had slow oil leaks into the rear brakes from time to time with my Holdens, where changing the seal didn't cure the leak.
In these cases I had to polish the part of the axle shaft where the seal lip bears.  Under magnification you can usually see some corrosion-related pitting, or maybe scratches.  I put the axle shaft in a lathe, and worked the seal bearing surface up with wet'n'dry, starting with 320 until the pits and scratches were removed, then 600, then 1200, and finally cutting compound.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 04:03:53 PM »

oil seals are a problem generally these days ,the original oil seals were made to Holdens spec ..today they are more a mass produced generic seal made to sizing,and modern oils don't like being contained..but modern oils have great advantages too ..where possible go for dual lipped .often used where once a steel coil was used to maintain some even pressure.

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 06:21:55 PM »

Thanks Rob. I will definitely check the shaft for pitting. I replaced my FJ rear seals a while back and the axles were so bad that I had to have them built up by metal spray followed by machining. Should not be required here though. And I agree about the quality of seals these days. Unfortunately this relates to a lot of products, not just seals.  Embarrassed Embarrassed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: