FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:22:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sub frame rust repairs  (Read 6929 times)
freddyc
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2019, 02:50:33 PM »

I have started working on the wagon and are wondering can the subframe rust repairs (under radiator) be done with engine and everything still in car. Or is it best to remove everything?
fred

Townsville North Queensland
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 07:57:43 PM »

I think it all depends on how far the rust has progressed mate.
If you start and find more then it comes out anyway. Everything in also makes it harder to paint.

Phone +64 223509263
ekute

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 05:45:37 PM »

I have replaced the tie panel between the rails after removing sway bar and tacking a piece of scrap steel to each side before removing the tie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 07:01:22 PM »

I replaced one a while back from rail to rail . Just folded up a new one and spotted it back where it was . Keep it clean and keep it neat and it is not that hard .

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 11:04:29 PM »

As others have said it isn’t that hard to do it with the engine in, but you’ll probably want to pull it out anyway. Easier to do a tidy job with the driveline out.

You should use a zinc rich (some use copper rich I’ve seen lately) primer wherever you have two sheet surfaces sandwiched together. Paint each surface prior to assembly. Drill through top hat brim on the underside into the top section and weld, thus replicating a spot weld. You can also stitch weld along the side of the mating surfaces. When it’s all finished and painted I used a Schutz gun with flexible 9mm tube and 360 nozzle to coat the insides liberally with multiple coats of fish oil.

I just use Dymark zinc galv etch prime rattle can. The theory is that the zinc in the paint dissolved in the weld pool, giving ongoing rust inhibition to the welds. Also, you are getting protection on where it is hard to get after welding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 09:58:26 PM »

errol can you show me where you learnt this?
the  zinc paint would burn  off,not into the weld pool i think
i welded through paint today....it doesnt like getting in the pool
well i burn it off step back as i go in the pool
prove me wrong,i like learning

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 11:51:20 PM »

Some reading for you wayno
https://rts.i-car.com/collision-repair-news/weld-through-primer-guidelines.html

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 12:51:42 AM »

Further reading reveals this to be a controversial topic. Using WTP was advocated to me on the FB EK forum, and I have been using it when plug welding lapped seams. I lightly coat the mating surfaces with zinc rich primer prior to clamping. I then use 5/16 bit to drill through top sheet and well in to bottom sheet so that no paint is present in the hole. This us for 20# sheet. 18# use 7/16 or 3/8” bit. Then hot mig weld perpendicular to surface, aiming at centre of hole. The panels need to be tightly clamped so no air gap or the result is blow out and contaminated weld.

Just what I’ve been told and developed a technique to make it work. It makes sense to me at least that the mating surfaces have some protection sandwiched between them as it is not practical to get fish oil or cavity wax in every seam. Likewise seam sealer.
Cheers
Clay

waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 12:18:20 AM »

try a smaller hole and hotter weld on the plug welds ....over the years my holes are smaller and welds way hotter.better result for me and less grinding......win win

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: