FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:22:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE Cowl Vent Seal Rubber  (Read 4531 times)
JohnBM
wa-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2019, 02:58:10 PM »

My seal rubber is original; so looking a little tired and cracked here and there . I am thinking of replacing it And I see Rare Spares advertising them for sale . Before I do something silly , has anyone replaced there’s and what was the fit like ? Mine looks like it’s in two pieces , but it maybe just where the sharp front edge of the vent closes down on the seal . So. Hoping someone can help . Cheers
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 06:35:41 PM »

Most likely the only silly thing you could do is not buy one . Wink

Sale Victioria
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 07:07:48 PM »

Yes, should be a single piece. My experience is that they fit fine, but I have seen people try to fit them upside down

Ken
JohnBM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 07:32:37 PM »

Thanks people , my main concern was the quality of the available replacement. Beggars can’t be choosers as they say , I suppose . Cheers
JohnBM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 03:18:28 PM »

Ken , re the seal will it fit straight in under the vent cover ? Looks as though it will , a mate of mine said he renewed his and had to undo a couple of nuts under the dash to gain access, of which I cannot see any. He has an FC Wagon , maybe he took off the vent cover itself. But I can’t see that would be necessary. Just wondering. Cheers
GMHwagoon

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 05:31:15 PM »

John
          there is a nut bolt  on the ratchet arm that you can disconnect ,its there to adjust the downward  tension on the
         air vent cover   this will give enough height on the vent  to get the seal to remove and reseal

fcwagoon
JohnBM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 06:55:38 PM »

Thanks Wagoon? , I’ve been trying to four small nuts and philips head screws out so can lift the whole vent out , the two above the glove box are testing me . The other two are out , I may put one back in and try what you have suggested. It’s in good condition rust wise , but if i can’t get in to clean it up if needed taking the vent off may be the way to go . I’ll post here as to how I get on . Cheers
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 08:19:55 AM »

I would take the vent completely off, as you suggest, a good clean will be necessary to get 50 years of dirt and grime out.
Removing it is easy if you take the glovebox out first.

Ken
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 06:18:23 PM »

John and Ken ..I have got my vent cowl rubber out of the kit and put a note on it for when we put the car back together ," install this rubber before cover" "..thanks for the tip..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
JohnBM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 07:57:36 PM »

Further to the on going saga , I unscrewed the glove box to gain entry to the two top bolts on the vent . Got that done, removed the nut & small bolt on the handle. The lever that lifts the vent . Still won’t come out , thought maybe it’s the water drain tube behind tappet cover that’s the problem . No . I’m wanting to remove it as Ken says and clean it out , paint it whatever to do a good job . I’m tilting it back toward the windscreen to no availe . So shut the shed door . Calming down & having a beer 🍺
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 08:46:38 PM »

I have seen some which are tricky to get out. Sometimes a little force is needed, but this needs to be addressed with some judicious reshaping to make it go back easily when painted

Ken
JohnBM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 09:14:55 PM »

Thanks Ken , I’ll get it , as you get older you bruise easily, I’ve wrapped my right wrist & up to my elbow in duct tape & rags to help . Trying to get the nuts off the vent bolts . lol .
JohnBM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 07:24:52 PM »

Well , good news , got the vent cover out , I was getting a bit frustrated as to why it wasn’t cooperating and would you believe it was the rod connected to the handle ,though loose it had to unscrewed from short threaded rod spot welded to the underside of the vent . Happy days. Plus no rust , the old seals adhesive was still tacky from the factory the new seal will see me out . Cheers . John .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: