FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:53:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Front Bumper Bar - curved or straight?  (Read 2224 times)
oldgrey58

Model: FE

South East Melbourne

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2019, 02:04:07 PM »

Hi all,

Is the middle section of the front bumper bar straight or curved to match the curve of the splash panel under the front grill? When you are looking down from above.

I've just fitted my front bumper bar and it's relatively straight. Is this because after 60 years its been massaged/bumped into being straight or is it supposed to be that way instead of having a curve that matches the curve of the splash panel across its width?

Thanks

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 04:43:25 PM »

The rear edge of the centre bar section may be quite straight, and may not follow the curve of the panel immediately behind.  But if you look at the fold line and the front of the centre bar section, they will in general follow the curve of the panel behind.  I think this is because the centre bar section does double duty on the rear bumper as well, and the rear end bodywork has a much less-pronounced curve than the front.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 06:42:40 PM »

Not to mention Rob, that the same pressing also saw duty on front and rear fb and ek bars. The general sure got some value out of that set of tooling. We must be talking roughly half a million units allowing for commercials.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 12:53:26 AM »

I measured a couple of pieces I have. They both curve 8.5mm at centre.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
oldgrey58

Model: FE

South East Melbourne

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 11:06:51 AM »

Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems my centre section will need some work to get a curve in it. I also compared it to the rear bar and it was similar but a bit flatter. I'll also shop around to see whats available.
Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: