FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:37:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Door handle scratch plates  (Read 7300 times)
Snoop

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2019, 09:59:36 PM »

Hi guys purchased some original scratch plates for the ute looks like the small tabs on each side of the plate fit under the door handle so I guess you have to loosen the door handles a little and slide them down into place maybe a dab of sicaflex as well?
Other question is I assume I’ll need a special tool of some description to remove door card and window winder etc to get at Handle retaining screws or nuts. Any advise on the above appreciated.
Cheers Snoop.
59wagon

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 01:29:21 AM »

Other question is I assume I’ll need a special tool of some description to remove door card and window winder etc to get at Handle retaining screws or nuts. Any advise on the above appreciated.
Cheers Snoop.

Hi Snoop, I made this tool from the plan in the FB manual - works well. Just need to make sure you line it up parallel with the door handle, and fit the tool between the handle and bearing plate

Cheers,

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 06:52:27 AM »

Snoop ..You said you purchased some "original" scratch plates ,are they NOS you picked up , or you purchased good used , or aftermarket ? If so ,I am thinking of getting some ,any leads ? ...THX Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 07:15:35 AM »

G'day Snoop,

The tool that John has drawn is really good to use for the door and window handle clips. If you have the time, it is worth making one.

If you don't have the time, SuperCheap also sell one:
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toledo-toledo-door-handle-clip-remover/SPO84825.html

Be wary though... the SuperCheap ones can tear the door trims if you are a little heavy handed. Go easy.

Cheers,
Harv
Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 07:51:33 AM »

Thanks John for the pics and expertise ill have a go at making the tool.Vern i got the scratch plates after ringing a guy i meet a few years ago when he was selling his fc,s (age was catching up and his health was not the best) he had a lot of parts so i rang him the other day to see if he had any left he invited me up to look he still had a fair bit of really nice stuff that he is finally letting go.Purchased a few parts some nos he only had two plates both second hand but in good nic. He said he would advertise the rest soon.I will be very careful Harv. Just one other thing the door cards do i just start at one corner maybe get a steel ruler behind and gently lever and pull the door card at the same time?
cheers and thanks
Peter
59wagon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 08:21:16 AM »

Hi Peter, I used a large flat screwdriver to gently lever the card out and the clips should just pop out. When I did mine, a couple of the clips pulled out of the door card and stayed in the door. A steel rule may work if not too flexible.

Have fun,

John
59wagon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 08:23:41 AM »

Come to think of it, you could probably use your new tool that you made as a lever 😊
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 08:40:37 AM »

If you are going to SuperCheap, buy yourself a set of these:
https://www.google.com.au/shopping/product/1001785083302216279?lsf=seller:6340317,store:6967452460538690112,lsfqd:0&prds=oid:14314945917411790480&q=Pry+Bars&hl=en&ei=jXdsXMGzA9ml9QPWjpq4Bg&lsft=gclid:EAIaIQobChMIj9DVmeHI4AIVmh0rCh0gsQP7EAQYASABEgIy6PD_BwE,gclsrc:aw.ds

They won't scratch the door paint when you remove the trim. If you use a steel rule, give it a layer of masking tape.

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 09:47:12 AM »

When are you going to disclose your sponsorship deal Harv?? 😈😈

Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 01:18:26 PM »

I should have shares in SuperCheap, Bunnings and Carlton United Breweries  Grin

Cheers,
Harv
Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 06:34:36 AM »

Thank you guys again for all the tips ! That little kit from super cheap looks like a good thing. I’ll have a go this weekend.
Cheers Peter
Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 06:38:34 PM »

Hi guys went to super cheap got the trim remover kit( 5 pieces in the kit) also brought the circlip tool to remove interior door handles (brilliant they all worked well) had a little trouble getting one handle off on closer inspection noticed Taiwan imprint underneath ! the detent for the circlip isn’t as close to the back of the handle as the genuine Holden handle had to compress foam in door card as I pushed sideways guess that was a aftermarket handle anyway scratch plates fitted perfectly. Vacuumed out inner doors whilst trims off (no rust) fishoiled everthing lubricated all lock and winding mechanisms put it all back together (beautiful).
Thanks again guys for all info and tips the forum is a wealth of information.
Cheers Peter
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 08:16:16 PM »

The tool available from Supercheap (and elsewhere) is exactly the right thing for the job. Whether you buy one or make your own - but why would you? - either way a layer of tape on the tips is highly recommended to avoid damaging the door trim.

Lots of other cars use exactly the same mechanism. My wife had a Mitsubishi Sigma before we got married, and over time nearly all the window crank knobs (or indeed the entire handle) snapped, and were replaced with FE-FC winders.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 06:06:16 PM »

Hi guys, worked out (hopefully) how to post photos.
Cheers Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 07:27:52 PM »

You did!

Bewdiful FE Snoop.
Cheers
Clay

JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 07:44:33 PM »

Geez Snoop, you couldn't possibly be happy with a ute like that. I reckon you should drop it off at my place and you start again on another one  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Looking really good mate, good job with the scratch plates too.

Cheers, Graeme
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 06:53:08 AM »

More pics here also ,making a habit out of it now ,I can see the head lights now ,nice clean unit ,enjoy ...Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
59wagon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 01:00:17 PM »

Nice ute Snoop.  Is it an FE with FC bits on it, or an FC with FE bits?

Cheers,

John
Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 06:28:18 PM »

Thanks Guys for all the nice comments about the ute it’s not perfect but it’s not too bad either.
It’s an fe with a nice fc grill and blinkers. I was going to make it all fe if I could find a suitable grill,blinkers and I guess mudguards but the current combination has really grown on me so I’ll leave it for now. I also have a set of nice fc commercial guard spears and also a set of fe (Holden )running writing guard badges to fit really like the fe ones so I’ll put them on (just to make it more confusing). Did notice when you hold the two different model types together that the fixing posts are at the same centres so I could change them around. Just need to track down the little fixing clips that from memory just push on from inside the guard.
Cheers Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: