FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:27:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: indicators not flashing  (Read 3511 times)
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2019, 01:51:44 PM »

The indicators on the FC wagon have stopped flashing
they all come on, on the correct side of the vehicle when you move the indicator arm but just stay lit up. the corresponding green arrow on the dash just stays lit also

Notes
The wagon is modified.. has H4(?) headlights and some upgraded electric things
It seemed to happen after I took the Hot Rod scooter to work for a whole week and ignored the FC
Is it just being temperamental ?
It seems to have started (maybe) when I hooked up the trailer
Could the trailer harm the wagons electrics ?
The drivers side front indicator is loose and we have noticed the light can be a little duller until you jiggle the indicator unit and it comes brighter again
is it just a bad earth connection
noticed there is a vacant hole.. should these three be nuts and bolts or screws  (typically my wagon seems to have an assortment) What do I buy if I want to replace them ?

just wondering what the possible causes might be
Having NO technical abilities...
do I just leave it with an Auto sparky to figure out and fix

Ta
 Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 04:44:24 PM »

For a start definately tighten up the indicator body, this could very well be the problem.
But, check your flasher can. If it's an original one then replace it with an electronic one. They are more expensive but will work more reliably.

Ken
Maco
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 08:38:51 PM »

For a start definately tighten up the indicator body, this could very well be the problem.
But, check your flasher can. If it's an original one then replace it with an electronic one. They are more expensive but will work more reliably.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Can you please advise the part number etc for the Electronic Flasher Can.
Thanks
John

Better in Green
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 12:34:57 AM »

Thanks Ken
The indicator unit has always been wobbly but this is the first time I've stuck my head under there to find there is a screw/bolt ? missing
is the missing screw/bolt any particular dimension ? I will see if any club member has one lying around in a shed.

Would I be correct in assuming my auto electrician would have an electronic flasher can that would fit (is it a generic item or something specific to fit a 60 year old car ?)

Ta
surferboy
 Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 05:02:17 PM »

The bolt for the indicator is pretty generic. It's actually all thread with a nut on the end. Same as the tail light bolt just shorter.
The flasher can should be able to be purchased from REPCO and the like. It must be one with three legs not two.
Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 08:24:31 PM »

It must be one with three legs not two.

Go into REPCO and ask them for a Jake The Peg Flasher. What could possibly go wrong?

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 10:45:33 AM »
+1

Hi Guys.

Over the years I've found those electronic flasher cans to be quite unreliable. When I had my workshop I lost count of the number of defective ones that I've thrown away.

In my cars I use the Narva brand 3-pin thermal flasher. These are basically the same as the factory type flasher & seem to last a lot longer than the electronic ones.

Part no. is 68203BL.

Dr Terry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: