FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:53:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help Wanted  (Read 3174 times)
Fraze

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2019, 07:37:59 AM »

Need help or advice! I have a fuel tank for my Ute rebuild in Hobart, Tasmania and I am in Melbourne. How to get the tank to Melbourne. The carriers I have contacted claim the tank is "dangerous goods" even though it has not contained fuel for 20+ years.Does any one have a clue to a willing carrier, otherwise is there a forum member out there who makes the trip who could pick up the tank for me and bring it to Melbourne?? I would be very happy to pay for the service plus any costs. Thanks, Fraze
REDMR2RED
vic-club

FC Ute's d'best

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 09:55:48 AM »

Hi Fraze, try Australia Post if you can get it boxed up in Tassy.  Max length is 105cm and .25M cubed.  No need to tell them what it is.

https://auspost.com.au/sending/check-sending-guidelines/size-weight-guidelines

I posted a mudguard (for another car) to Sydney by keeping the box to under 1.0M long

Worth a try.

1959 FC Holden Ute
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 01:30:36 PM »

I would be careful with the declaration ,you can send safe dangerous goods ,just have to make out the correct paperwork ..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 11:20:17 AM »

I agree, be up front & save the potential for any unnecessary panic.
I called a courier I deal with in Melbourne out of curiosity just to see if they would require steam cleaning or some sort of certification. They recommended Tas Freight. I have not used them but spoke with Gerard (Sales in Devonport). He was very helpful. The advice was - wrap it in something soft & crate, drop at Hobart's Bridgewater Depot & reference Gerard (03 6426 1201) for background info. They do ship these using appropriate caution but without drawing too much unnecessary attention to what it is in cases like this  eg  describe as something generic like "container" instead of DANGEROUS PETROL TANK.
Estimated cost was $120 + GST. I have no idea how this compares with anyone else, maybe it adds too much to the cost of the item, but anyway, it seems can be done.

Dave
0417 270 315
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 12:30:41 PM »

Try the FB EK forum and see if anyone coming to the north island for the nats and can bring it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 07:51:56 AM »

Thanks for your posts. The problem I have with packintg/crating the tank is that being a ute/PV tank it has an long filler neck and to pack that would have to be removed - how to get that done? Next option I guess is to talk the Missus into a Tas holiday and pick it up myself.Actually now that I have said that it sounds good. Fraze
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 11:12:33 AM »

Maybe just a matter of a bigger crate filled with foam, or other goods, but as you say it could be as much as a holiday. Hope you find someone taking their own car with room in the boot.

Dave
0417 270 315
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: