FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:18:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: where is eveyone  (Read 14120 times)
2brite
wa-club

Cruizin's devine in a '59

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2019, 10:26:01 PM »

Its a shame to see this Forum not hussling and bussling like years ago.
I think everyone's  on Facebook Groups now
I miss seeing all the project builds etc
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 11:22:26 PM »

Yeah it’s been slow of late on here sadly. I don’t get Facebook myself. Love the forums. The Torana forum is about the only one doing much traffic really. Im on the FB EK forum a fair bit. There are less than a dozen regular contributors currently. Guys with projects on the go. Despite the slowdown it is still a fantastic support resource, and also I find it a great way to document what I’m doing on my cars. Not to mention the inspiration I get reading other people’s build threads. Hopefully we will see more on here soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 07:39:20 AM »

g'Day 2 brite and Errol  .your comment is interesting, I cant say anything on forum history as I am a new member ,I certainly do enjoy the forum ,and yes it has facilitated things for me  ..It may well be face book taking over ,I am not on face book ,but I may well have to be as there are things on there I learn from my family that I other wise would not have known about , my son was selling his Triton ute on Gumtree for 6 weeks ,going nowhere ,he put it on facebook ,sold in a week . I think we are getting to a time things change so quickly ,soon we will say " Gumtree " whats that ?  .Like The Trading Post paper gone .There are no more newspaper to the door deliveries to my family in Bathurst ..not enough people buy papers ,getting their news MSN9 or similar on a device..Christmas cards thing of the past ..we listen to ABC702 of a morning for news ,how it has changed ,last week Buck and Harmer are hosts , item .." Jenny on the central coast has just "TWEETED " in,its so hot ,she has put ice cubes in her cats drinking water " ...SPARE ME !!!!!!
NOW..On my FC resto.
I have put two cloth buffing pads on an old 8" bench grinder on a stand,using metal buffing soap on one side ,and polish on other side ,and then hand polish with Autosol metal polish, very happy with result on all stainless trim ,Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 01:34:34 PM »

I get more requests to join the FE-FC Enthusiasts page on Facebook in a week than I get here in a month. And once I filter out the spammers (here), you could say it’s more like a week there equates to a quarter here.

And there’s a concomitant amount of daily traffic as a result.

Price of progress, I guess. Just as EBay sucked the life out of swap meets, so too has Facebook drained community websites (and newspapers for that matter) of engagement. If you’re a commercial or non-profit enterprise you don’t have a social media presence, you may as well not exist.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 03:07:53 PM »

I'm still here although I haven't done much lately .Too busy with the kids and their computerised rice burners ,and struggle with resizing and posting photos . I will try to get more involved .If we don't stick together and share this knowledge it will die with us .
GMHwagoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 03:21:17 PM »

lm  the same , happy to help if l can with spare parts and advise people are  after  ,but my own project has been sitting on the        rotisserie  at the back of the shed now for 18 months . other projects sometime take priority over the wagon but l will get there one day   ,  l still check in  at least three times a day and enjoy looking at builds .
 l have plenty of pics but getting them up is frustrating sometimes especially  for us oldies

keep up the good work moderators   , great site

fcwagoon
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 04:24:13 PM »

I find FaceBook is like talking to your mates in a pub about cars... lots of passion, sometimes knowledge, heaps of bs, the topics change real quick, and the next day it’s hard to find what you were talking about.

The forums are more like walking into someone’s garage. More knowledge, logical arguments, some politeness, and you can generally find that nugget of treasure from 5 years ago if you look for it. You may have to wait longer for a response, as the garage owner is often elbows deep in their own work.

Seen a lot of forum guys help out with free parts or labour, less so on FaceBook.

Cheers,
Harv
Plum57

1957 FE

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 04:32:54 PM »

I still like checking in on this forum.    Search facility has come very handy.    Technical info retrievable.  
Members have helped me with interest in vehicles interstate.   Can't get that on Facebook.  

Plum57

Plum57

1957 FE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 04:52:43 PM »
+1

I still like checking in on this forum.    Search facility has come very handy.    Technical info retrievable.  
Members have helped me with interest in vehicles interstate.   Can't get that on Facebook.  

Plum57

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 07:18:56 PM »

I'm noticing a common theme among contributors to this thread: a decision to avoid the Zucker-verse.  Me too.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 12:08:42 AM »

To me Facebook is broadcast, whereas the forums are both discussion and tech resource.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 09:16:32 AM »

I'm with everyone's comments here I don't facebook my wife does and what I hear from her comments is that there are a lot of supposed experts and a lot of BS and I just don't need it or want to get involved with it I much rather get on the forum read interesting posts on a subject that I am really interested in and from other like minded people who are actually involved instead of just being arm chair or should I say computer desk experts.
Keep the forums alive.
Neil
Ole

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 03:16:04 PM »

I was a big fan of the forum prior to joining the Facebook page. One of the biggest issues for me is the difficulty of uploading photos, I’m not a computer whiz and even navigating the tapatalk app is confusing to me. Uploading photos on Facebook is a piece of cake, but I must admit, I use to love checking out the projects under construction. Another problem is the amount of so called gurus on the forum. There would be a handful of gurus on here who I really respect, there are others who have achieved guru status just through the volume and not the quality of their posts. Overall this is a great site and I have met a lot of like minded helpful enthusiasts here, so I will revisit it more often.

Adelaide SA
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 03:53:49 PM »

there are others who have achieved guru status just through the volume and not the quality of their posts.
This has been raised before Ole & I'm one of the members you refer to. I have been on the forum for some years & enjoy learning about the experiences posted here & contributing where I can help someone. I'm grateful that such a forum exists & that it makes people welcome regardless of their level of knowledge or skills. I share an interest here but I don't claim to be a guru in any aspect & I'm more than happy for the title to be changed.

Dave
0417 270 315
ekute

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 08:48:34 PM »

My interests have changed, I am now building an as found bodied hotrod but still love to see what’s going on in FE/FC land. I’ve dumped farcebook because it led me where I didn’t want to go!

fcute

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 09:58:41 PM »

Facebook has its place, but I do prefer the forums. I tend to put more faith in a person I have kind of got to know through their posts   and pics etc.

Much more reliable information and more in depth.

Keep the forums alive.

surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 07:47:25 PM »

I'm still here  Grin
Whether that is good or bad is debatable.

I just pop in to see what everyone is up to
or ask a question...   Like why did my wagons indicators stop flashing Huh...  I think it threw a hissy fit because I rode the hot rod scooter to work for a whole week  Roll Eyes

and I'm a Guru  Shocked Shocked Shocked Huh
which proves GURU status has absolutely no relationship to knowledge about FE/FCs (or computer stuff or most other things)

I use Facebook but find it very instant and things disappear quickly never to be found.  and to many posts just turn into verbal abuse between two or three people and degenerate into gutter trash.

I'm going away now.....
but I will be back

Cool Cool Cool
A GURU

cruisin's great with a 58
Luke Healey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 06:40:06 PM »

I am back.
Was on a 9 month deployment.
Back into the building now
Have 280 posts to read through...

Sent from my G8342 using Tapatalk
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2019, 07:17:15 PM »

yeah i wish it was like the old days 10 years ago but its hard to post pics on here.
facebook is just easy but most people on here, Smiley are on there arent they? Smiley

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2019, 07:46:47 PM »

I too am sad to see the decline of the forum ,being a country member of the

Sale Victioria
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...