FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:16:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: re assembly of front panels  (Read 4376 times)
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »

Gents ..we plan to test fit the front guards and apron after rust repairs/welding etc ,prior to painting ,for those of you who have done it several times ,would we be best advised to assemble the guards ,apron , grille ,into one piece off car and then offer it up that way ,or have you found it better to do the 2 guards first ,then apron ,then grille ..I watched  old footage where in the factory they fitted the assembly to the car ..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 08:21:01 PM »

Yes you can fit it up as an assembly but you need 3 guys. 2 guys on either side of the assembly and another one to guide things into place.
I've generally found it easiest to put the guards in place with a couple of screws at the top and then fit the three bolts down the door side (not tight). Then remove the screws at the top so that you can spread the guards at the front an inch or so.
Then gently slide the grille into place and tuck the guards in as you go.
Have the headlight buckets out when putting the guards on so you can easily access the bolt holes to hold the grille in.
Ken
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 07:01:31 AM »

Hi Vern, I’m with Ken, it’s a lot easier to fit them one by one. The fellas at GMH make it look easy as they do it all day every day. For us weekend warriors who only have to do it when we do a rebuild it’s a different story. The amount of time it would take to bolt it all together, then try and fit it up would most likely take twice as long as replacing them one at a time especially if you only have a couple of extra hands. I’ve taken mine on and off a few times now and you find it easier each time, and as Ken said make sure you take the headlight buckets out of the guards it’s definitely much easier.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 06:51:58 AM »

OK ..thanks fellas ..that gives me the tried and tested method ,it will allow us to redrill the two holes in correct place in lower/rear of the front guard that have been welded up, and also have the procedure down pat so we have no scratches in new paint on final assembly ..as I have said before my panel beater mate is a pommie ,and hasn't worked on any FE-FC Holdens except mine ,he sure has looked at lots ,he was talking about painting all blind spots of front guards ,fit to car ,then paint with rest of body ,doors,boot lid and bonnet painted off car but at same time ..what have you fellas done ?

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 07:34:42 AM »

Mines not painted yet, but most painters I know do the same depending on the type of paint. If it’s two pack they will paint everything off the car and acrylic is done the way he said.
Jim

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 06:07:00 PM »

If you haven't got 3 guys to help you, you can cut a piece of pine or other soft wood to hold the guards apart . Check with others on this forum but I believe the door rubbers originally formed a gasket behind the back edge of the front guards behind the rear square folded edge ,down the pillar and getting this spaced out flush with the front doors is a priority as is the position and space up at the cowl ,the old door rubber kits had a problem here and the rubber bulged out and sprung your doors .
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 07:49:03 AM »

happy new year ladies gents .My FC turns 61 this year and I turn 71 ..We have a lot in common ,I go down to the shed and talk to her ,she's had a rebore and I haven't , she said her pedal goes soft occasionally ,I have a similar problem ,my memory is bit rusty ,her dog leg is also apparently , she doesn't like to start when she is hot ,I cant start hot or cold , we compare dents and scratches ,I come second ..we agreed ,when she is finished it will be a new lease of life for both of us …

Now on a serious note ..my speedo resto ..on removing the glass from the fuel gauge ,and tell tale gauge ,the words ( ie ..fuel ,gen ,temp ,oil ) on the glass have all but come off ,my fault not being careful enough, how do you re do those letters ?  ..THX Vern .

FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 09:52:05 AM »

Hi Vern
Can't remember who it is but one of the forum members makes new letters you can buy.
Neil
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 10:40:49 AM »

Happy new year to you as well, look in reproduction parts page 3 top line Gauge Lettering, has all the details.
Jim

DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 10:48:43 AM »

Another option is replacement lenses. I bought some from Phil Illfield just a couple of weeks ago - 0412 360 959.

Dave
0417 270 315
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 11:58:49 AM »

Jim ..the guy, Brent, you referred me to for the gauge letters does not make them any more..he said " just go to any signwriter and have them made in Acrylic "

Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 03:51:30 PM »

Vern, you can try Team Schembri at,   team.schembri@hotmail.com  for the lenses.
Cheers
John

Better in Green
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 05:08:37 PM »

THX John ..will keep that contact..Also spoke to Phil Illfield said to see him at next swap meet ..Also talking to bloke from Vinyl Lettering Centre ,he hopes he can get down to 4mm high letters ..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: