FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:04:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Manifold heat control valve  (Read 2856 times)
JohnBM
wa-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2018, 09:17:20 PM »

If the butterfly valve was frozen in the closed position , would this have a detrimental problem in regard to heating problems ? Without actually taking off the exhaust to look up , I’ve been told don’t worry about it . I’m not convinced .though with the new modified head gasket installed it’s now running cool enough . Just wondering . Cheers
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 04:48:13 PM »

Frozen in the closed position is the best if it is frozen. When the car is cold the valve is open and hot exhaust gas is directed at the base of the inlet manifold to warm the incoming fuel, hence better cold start characteristics. As the motor warms the valve closes and hot exhaust gas is deflected away from the inlet manifold.
So if it's stuck closed you get a slightly slower warm up. If it's stuck open you are more likely to get vaporising on a very hot day.
Why not try to fix it. I'm pretty sure I have a NOS manifold Spring here.
Happy to sell to anyone who needs one.

Ken
JohnBM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 06:26:26 PM »

Thanks Ken , for your reply , I did post a photo on one of grey motor enthusiast sites showing the position of counter weight , where it is frozen , it may be unable to move at all , not sure till I can get a look inside . If it’s feasable to get it working , & you have a return spring you mentioned I’ll get one off you . Cheers John M
Stewy
sa-club

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 03:44:00 PM »

How many do you have Ken?
I asked for one a while ago with no response.
Don't need a new one, just one to replace mine that the end rusted and fell off.

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 05:51:39 PM »

John, I'll send you a pm. Sorry Stewy, don't remember your ad. I got this one at Bendigo swap a couple of weeks ago.

Regards Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: