FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:35:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fish oil preservative/body treatment  (Read 2377 times)
Snoop

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2018, 08:47:04 PM »

Hi guys my first post hopefully in the right place?
Picked up my new fe  ute a few days ago after a few years of looking ,it had a resto 18 years  ago and still looks ok .Started taking out the removable panels inside the ute tub to check condition of the void between the outside skin and tub were it meets underneath the tub floor was pleasantly surprised to fine very little to no corrosion. Would like to get recomendations on treatment to preserve the status quo and any good products that are out there.
Thanks in advance
Peter
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 11:45:36 PM »

Welcome Peter,
Fisholene in a 1 litre canister that screws on to a compressor powered schutz gun available at your local auto paint supplier. I got a gun and fisholene for about $50. The gun I got has a spray nozzle interchanging with an 8mm clear plastic tube with a multi directional nozzle. I then got a metre length of tube from local hardware to extend reach. I have been able to get right inside the subframe legs from either end, after thoroughly flushing with gurney of course. By drilling a hole mid way along the top of the sill panels, in front of the b pillar base, I can reach the full length of the sill box section. Drilled a 3/4” hole and sealed with 19 mm blind grommet. Did the same for the no1 front body member. I’m yet to do the Ute tray but will probably use the single direction nozzle there.

The fisholene soaks in to the rust and arrests any further corrosion and you just keep applying it three or four times until you get a solid buildup. It forms a skin after a couple of days. Needs re applying regularly only if used in exposed areas. Great for areas that are not visible because it is really easy to get in to nooks and crannys. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Clay
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 06:32:40 AM »

Fishoil is indeed awesome stuff. When you first put it on, it reeks. You think that you have permanently made your car smell like the wrong end of the fish markets. It seeps into lots of places that are hard to get at, like in between layers of steel that have been lap jointed with spot welds. It ends up running out of lots of places you would never suspect... little drips all along the car. If your garage is one of the immaculate ones with a polished floor, you may want to put down a few layers of newspaper. After a fortnight or so the smell is gone.

Cheers,
Harv
Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 07:19:49 AM »

Thank you Harv and Clay for the tips and advice, seems like fish oil is still the go to product have used it years ago but wasn’t sure if it was the right thing to use.
Spent last night gently scrapping and hoovering up dust and I think bodysealer that was randomly applied between inner and outer panels I assume in the manufacturing process that is now hard and brittle.
Off to get the fisholine and gun.
Merry Christmas
Peter
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 01:39:33 PM »

Good idea to keep the can ,wash it out and then you can buy the 4litre tins and pour it into the litre can to spray it as required.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 02:05:16 PM »

Cheers Haydn
Good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)