FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:37:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fc ute  (Read 16168 times)
Greg M
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2018, 06:01:13 AM »

Well I have had the ute since Easter and I have finally got around to posting some photos of it. Now when I bought it, it was a running registered car from Adelaide but it was a bit rough here and there and it had a fj motor in it and it came with a fc motor that was supposed to be the original motor but it turns out that it's about six months younger than the ute but at least it's a fc motor so I have had it at Duggan Balancing and it has been completely machined, new pistons and rings, bearings and cam and crank have been reground new valves and guides and new hammock balancer, crank flywheel and clutch balanced and I have had the distributor rebuilt and the carby rebuilt so it should be good for another sixty years. And I have pulled the diff, rear springs and fuel tank out ready to clean up the underneath the ute. I am going to put new bearings all round and new rear wheel cylinders and I have replaced the front left king pin already. Cheers Greg

Greg M
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 06:04:29 AM »

customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 11:18:19 AM »

Hey Greg
Looks like a nice solid start to your project.
Thanks for sharing and good luck with the build.
Regards
Alex

59wagon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 03:52:00 PM »

You’ve been busy Greg. Looks like the ute’s getting a decent going over prior to hitting the road again.
Good luck and keep us posted 😀

Cheers,

John
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 06:08:43 PM »

good work Greg ..Its very rewarding isn't it ,My panel beater mate passed my rust repairs around the boot seal area on my FC ,I am quite chuffed ,its never too late to get better and better ..Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 11:54:43 PM »

So that's where Mattys ute ended up. Always good to put your own touches on them.

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
Greg M
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 09:56:40 PM »

Well it's been awhile since I have posted a update on the rebuild, so here is a few photos of the motor rebuild. Cheers Greg.

Greg M
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 09:44:48 PM »

Well I have had a good day in the garage today and I got the inlet and exhaust manifolds, carby, distributor, fuel pump, hockey stick breather, fan and the generator installed onto the motor. Next is the gearbox to get some love, new gaskets and seals then repaint. Cheers Greg

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 10:12:59 PM »

Good to see you’re getting on with it Greg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 03:25:15 PM »

Looks nice Greg. Keep the pictures and updates coming  Smiley
Greg M
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 04:03:22 PM »

Okay guys I have just about finished the diff and rear suspension and I have a few things to fix on the under side of the ute then I will be looking at repainting the under side and diff and suspension and I am thinking about using kbs chassis paint, any good or bad reportson this?  And also I was goingto use gloss black everywhere or should some parts be Matt black? Cheers Greg

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 05:33:20 PM »

Nothing is matt black, the underfloor is chassis black and all the bolt ons are gloss black. The springs are an exception which were originally oil blacked, hard to paint them because the separators should remain unpainted. Depends how fussy you want to get. It didn't take very long for the oil blacking to wear off and the bare metal was all you saw.

Ken
Greg M
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 09:36:18 PM »

Thanks Ken. Cheers Greg
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 03:18:48 PM »

Greg ..I used the KBS gloss ,very happy ,use gloves ,sticks to you , the rust buster I had probs ,light surface rust quickly as I wiped it off as instructed ,so wiped off before paint ,but if just putting aside for a short time ,I left it on neat ,then washed off immediately before primer ..I have posted some images on members cars under restoration..Vern

Greg M
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 06:56:35 PM »

Well its been a while since I have posted a update on the rebuild and as I said on my last post I was just about to paint the underneath of the ute and the diff and springs after fixing a few issues on the chassis. I then was talking to my neighbor about it and said it would be a lot easier to do with a rotisserie and he turns around and said that he has one that I could have, so now the ute is finally up on the rotisserie and spinning. Now I have to get around to repairing the chassis and floor pan then repaint the underneath. So now that I have the use of the rotisserie I am going to do a full rebuild and repaint . So its going to take a lot longer than I first thought. Cheers Greg

camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 07:59:54 PM »

Hi Greg you will not know your self now you have a rotisserie, Im not sure how I would be doing any of my work with out one.  Keep up the great work.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 10:17:14 PM »

They call it scope creep in the project management world Greg. You will end up with a solid car. Get the structure sorted and then the aesthetics.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Greg M
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 07:07:39 PM »

Hi guys, got a bit done on the weekend, slowly getting there cutting out the previously very average rust repairs.I am glad that I decided to replace the previous owners repairs as they were a plate welded over the top of rusted out floor sections.  I have new floor pans to go in and some new cross menber repair sections. Cheers Greg

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 07:43:51 PM »

good on you Greg ,do it right ,remove the rough work and renew ,very satisfying ..Vern

Greg M
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2019, 04:21:52 PM »

Found out on the weekend that the outer sills have some rust and some very average rust repairs done to them so now I am going to replace them as well as the floor pans and cross menber outer sections, oh well more time and money! Could be worse I suppose. Cheers Greg

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: