FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 30, 2024, 01:29:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fe/ fc original brake & clutch master cylinders ( tin type)  (Read 3782 times)
JohnBM
wa-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »

Just a quick one , the original cans , were they galvanised ? I’m pretty sure they were . And if you had a reasonable pair would it be possible to get them galvanised again ?
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 03:50:28 PM »

John,

Yes, you can get the reservoirs zinc-plated.  But beware - the zinc-plating process removes all the surface rust, so there's a good chance you'll end up with pinholes in your newly replated reservoirs.  Check them for leaks before installing.  The pinholes can be soldered up if you're a good shot with a soldering iron, though.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
JohnBM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 11:15:48 AM »

Thanks for that Rob , sounds good . Cheers . John
Diamond Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 08:42:11 PM »

WOW!  How much would you sell them for?

AND they called in The Diamond Dog....the Red Light KING!!!
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 09:03:23 PM »

I sold one of these recently complete with master cylinder for $20 at a swap meet, after advertising it on gumtree for months at not much more, maybe $30. It would only fit the earlier cylinders as they must have changed to a larger thread in the cylinder body at some time. I guess I am too much of a hot rodder to appreciate these things, and can’t see what all the fuss is about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 08:28:24 AM »

The original finish was tin plated - same finish as soup cans etc. i spoke to a chrome plater a few years ago about getting a finish that was flatter than the normal zinc finish, he said I wanted what was described in the industry as a "bad" zinc finish. That is a non shiny zinc finish.
The thread size changed when the plastic reservoir was introduced. This is a real shame because for years we spoke to Rares about getting the cans remade and it always came down to thread size. They thought that the best alternative was to make a new can that fitted the available cylinder, whereas we thought that the best alternative was to make it with the correct thread for the early cylinder as per original. It never got made unfortunately.

Ken
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 04:19:44 PM »

John ,after going through the  repro path a couple of years ago with no outcome I decided to make my own ,check my post on page 2 of the reproduction parts section ,not an exact copy ,but heaps better than plastic .cheers Steve  Cheesy

Sale Victioria
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: