FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:23:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: WTB grey motor cam followers  (Read 2623 times)
Fraze

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2018, 05:35:14 PM »

Need to buy a set of cam followers for my F B engine rebuild, new or good used will do, can anyone help? Any clues on a source for new cam followers? Thanks, Fraze
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »

Fraze,

New cam followers are unobtainium.  There are some new old-stock ones around, but not too many. (and those I have, I'm hanging onto)

I have "reconditioned" grey motor followers by giving the base a light dressing -

Chuck follower in lathe, base facing outwards.  Slow speed (~300-500 rpm).
Angle grinder with backing pad and new 120-grit sanding disc.
The barest touch is all it takes to reface the follower's base.
Inspect the base for flatness using a straightedge.
The followers tend to wear concave, but I refinish them very slightly convex - maybe a couple of thou over the diameter of the base.
And finally, a quick polish with wet'n'dry on a piece of glass.

If your followers aren't pitted, this procedure will work.  If you're not replacing your camshaft and the followers are in OK condition, then you don't really need to do a thing.  Just re-use them, as-is, in their original locations.

I've noticed a difference in the metallurgy between the 48-to-mid-FB followers, and the FB-EJ followers.  The early followers hardly spark at all when I reface them with a sanding disc (suggests a type of cast iron?), while the later followers give off lots of arrow-fletching sparks (suggests they're made of hard steel).

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 06:50:02 AM »

Fraze ..You can face the end of the lifter in a valve refacer , Im not sure on this point though ,either the cam lobe is tapered or the original face of the lifter is convex ,so that as the lifter rises it also turns in the block , also if you are mixing and matching ,there are different depth followers ,so you may have to get push rods also to suit the followers inside depth ..I had the followers and push rods that I have all laid out to select the best ,when I realised there were different length push rods ...only way I know is measure and pair the correct rod length with the follower you choose or obtain ..Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 07:29:15 AM »

Thanks for the replies. My problem is that most of the lifters in my engine are pitted  and can't be refaced, hence my requirement for replacements - hope someone can help? Thanks, Fraze.
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 07:40:02 PM »

Hi Fraze, I have a spare set of lifters in reasonable condition if you’re interested.

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 07:25:29 AM »

Thanks Jim, see seperate email I sent thismorning re arranging purchase. Cheers, Fraze
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: