FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:45:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: PITMAN SHAFT SEAL  (Read 2762 times)
Fraze

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2018, 07:23:21 AM »

I need to replace the pitman shaft seal in my steering box. Is there a modern lip seal which can be used, or are we stuck with the original felt seal? Advice please, Fraze
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 08:54:20 PM »

Fraze,

It should be straightforward to find a modern replacement.  I know the sector shaft's 1.00" in diameter.  The original "seal" appears to be about 1/4" deep, and I'm guessing the bore in the steering box is 1-1/2" diameter.  But you'd better measure it.

If you've got the sector shaft out, it's not too hard to knock the seal retainer out, then you can measure its OD.

My father turned up a replacement seal out of cork gasket material for my FC, and it works well.  I'd still suggest finding the right size lip-type seal though.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 11:57:51 AM »

Ok, a modern lip seal is available. The size is 1.000 id x 1.437 od x .250 inch. Cost me $5.00! Cheers, Fraze
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: