FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:48:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Replacement VH44 brake booster  (Read 3310 times)
antman67
wa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2018, 09:28:51 PM »

Hi all,
I have purchased a replacement VH44 brake booster for my ‘59 FC, however I have found the location of everything (mounting bolts, vacuum connection, etc) is on opposite sides to my existing booster. Is there any way it can be adjusted so it will fit the same as the existing booster? I have attached comparison photos. Thanks in advance.

The FC Holden is the epitome of vehicle design and manufacture in Australia in the late 1950's and beyond.......
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 07:47:40 AM »

At Rods we would mount both of them in the boot.
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 12:09:14 PM »

It is possible to make the new booster correspond to the old one - you have to turn the vacuum chamber round 180 degrees on the hydraulic cylinder.  Take a deep breath -

There's a clamp band that holds the two vacuum chamber halves together.  Undo the bolt and lift the clamp band off.  Unstick the rear vacuum chamber (carefully - rubber mallet or gently with a screwdriver).  If the diaphragm (black rubber) wants to come away with the rear vacuum chamber, peel it off.  There's a pipe that is part of the rear vacuum chamber.  Unplug the pipe from the elbow fitting.  Put the rear vacuum chamber aside.

Now the diaphragm's exposed.  Turn it inside out and lift it gently off the round nut that secures it.  Put the diaphragm aside.

You'll now see a metal disc, the hydraulic pushrod, a big coil spring, and six (I think) 5/16" AF hex-head screws.  These six screws hold the front vacuum chamber onto the hydraulic cylinder.  Using a ring spanner, and working in between the coils of the spring, remove the six screws.  Free up the front vacuum chamber carefully - there's a gasket you don't want to tear - turn the front vacuum chamber through 180 degrees and replace the six screws.

Underneath the hydraulic cylinder is a housing held on with four No. 2 Phillips screws.  Undo the four screws.  Free the housing up gently (there's a smaller diaphragm inside) and turn it around half a turn so that the pipe faces out the other side.  Replace the four Phillips screws.  Turn the elbow fitting around so it faces backwards.

It's just reassembly from here on.  Replace the vacuum diaphragm, taking care that it's seated correctly over the big round nut.  Replace the rear vacuum chamber so that the pipe plugs into the elbow fitting.  Refit the clamp band and tighten the bolt and nut securely.

Done.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: