FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:54:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Commodore caliper hoses  (Read 4468 times)
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2018, 07:09:37 PM »

Hi guys. I running vp front discs on the ute and was wondering what hoses others have used from the calipers to the original bracket where it meets the metal brake lines?  My calipers are front mounted if that makes any difference.
Cheers
Fcv8

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 07:22:57 PM »

I had them custom made. Go round behind the tower and attach with a right angle fitting.
All brake shops should be able to make them for you.
Ken
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 09:16:43 PM »

Thanks Ken. Any idea on the length you got them made to? Also where the right angle fitting meets the line is it still held into position with the retaining clip? If you could post a photo that would be great.
Cheers Glenn

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 05:17:10 AM »

I have the same calipers on my EK wagon. It runs the standard length VN/VP/VR/VS hoses. I've got the fenderwell CRS headers, and they tended to clash with the hoses (or very nearly so) at different lock. Ended up having to fit the HR "spring thingies" to hold the hoses off the headers. Engineer decided he still didn't like the heat in the wheel well, and I had to install insulation sleeves on the hoses.

Cheers,
Harv
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 07:48:37 AM »

Hi Guys.

I can custom make any variation of any caliper hose you may need. I use either factory style rubber or stainless braid, which is ADR legal.

You need to be very careful mixing & matching different off-the-shelf hoses due to the variation in end fittings.

It's not just the metric/imperial differences either.

Harv mentioned VN/VP/VR/VS hoses. Even they aren't the same was each other. There was a change made around mid-VP (when ABS became commonplace) where the flare changed from the traditional 'inverted' style to the modern 'ball' flare.

You can screw a VS hose onto a VN, because they both have 10mm x 1 threads but the flare will not seal properly & it's not obvious, even to some professional mechanics not familiar with this issue.

As I said I can make any custom hose, any length, any fittings, for street, race or show. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Dr Terry
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 11:00:47 AM »

Thanks Terry - it's good advice.

I mixed a Gemini booster, XA/B/C master, VR front calipers, VP rears and aftermarket proportioning valve. When I started, I knew absolutely nothing about pipe flaring. Had to be really careful, as those components are a mix of ball and inverted flares (not to mention having to change the pushrod length for preload). Had some great conversation with Ken (with thanks) that taught me a lot.

I should have called you when I broke the car trailer rear hose.... just before knock-off time before a long weekend. Took some calling around before Burt Brothers came to the rescue (only just squeaked in before they shut the doors  Grin).

Cheers,
Harv
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 05:56:39 PM »

I should add, I made them myself when I was working at Hoppers Stoppers. We had a brake line machine which was handy Grin
From memory, standard fitting from the pipe on the chassis, about 450 mm long and with a banjo fitting on the caliper with a through bolt.
Don't have any photos unfortunately, that was on my since sold FE sedan.
The engineer loved them because they gave excellent clearance on full travel
Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: