FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:59:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Father Son project  (Read 8629 times)
Dad and Son

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2018, 02:39:48 PM »

I'm looking for an FE or FC ute as a project to work on with my son. I think this one is too far gone.
It has a massive dint in the roof, the silk and floor pan are a few inches too low

There is a big dint in the tray

and it's missing a few minor parts, like headlights, engine, transmission, rear axle, bonnet and grill.
FireKraka

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 11:36:56 AM »

Firstly welcome to the forum mate.
That Ute just needs a polish and you should have it back on the road in no time  Grin  Grin  Grin

Seriously what state are you in and do you have a price range, I scour gumtree and you see a few fe fc fb ek Ute come up every now and then but a lot are being already done up as we speak (I'm just finishing an ek Ute) and the ones that do come up seem to have been dragged out of paddocks really depends on what you are willing to take on and skill level mate.

Anyway good luck with your search and please make sure you post photos when you get your project a lot of great people and good advice on here.
Regards
Neil
Dad and Son

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 08:58:56 AM »

Thanks Neil,

Pressure wash, spit and polish new motor and she's all go.   Grin

In all seriousness, could that ute be resurrected? I assume that the dints would come out ok. The sill coming away from the side worries me, how would you get it all to line up. I didn't look underneath, but if the chassis rails had rust in them can it be fixed?

I'm in NSW and looking for something under $1000 if possible. I figure that the so called 'Barn Finds' are still gonna need rust panels, a re-spray, re-upholstering, engine rebuild and re-chroming to make a show car so why pay a premium. Happy to be rebuked on that comment though. On the other hand a wreck is going to need a lot of parts sourced. I'd be happy to pour money and labour in over time, rather than a big amount up front.

As far as skill level, I'm always repairing old farm machinery so my mechanical and welding skills are quite reasonable and I have developed patience and like learning new skills.

Looking for any remarks on the ute above and on a project in general.

Cheers,
Ben
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 09:24:15 AM »

Hi Ben
I suppose the saying is "nothing is unsaveable" BUT that one looks pretty bad mate.
I picked up another fb ek Ute body a little while ago that has no real floors but looks way better than the one in the photo, I put it in the yard as yard art, it is saveable but I didn't want to go that deep myself.
The sills and things aren't too bad but if it has broken its back like old Utes can do then I think they are too far gone.
You would have to get it up off the ground and have a look underneath and see how bad it is.
Looks like there is a fe ute behind it in the last picture, is that maybe a better prospect?

Good luck with your search Ben
Regards
Neil
Dad and Son

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 09:33:15 AM »

The one behind it is much better, but already sold. I'm told its going to get cut up for parts. Angry
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 10:08:59 AM »

Gday Ben,

There is an FC Wagon for sale in Bega that may suit you, click on the link below:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/fc-holden-station-wagon-1958/173396720797?hash=item285f3ffc9d:g:3YoAAOSwh8NbPyTp

Cheers, Graeme

FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 10:19:48 AM »

If the FE is relatively good condition then why cut it up I just don't get that Ben however there are a lot of people out there trying to make a business out of getting these things out of paddocks and selling bits on eBay and the like, really pisses me off.
My 2 cents worth  Cry Cheesy
Neil
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 10:25:55 AM »

Graeme the fb Ute at the top of that link page looks pretty good as well either would be a pretty good project.
Neil
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 11:14:23 AM »

Graeme, best of luck with your search for a project.
My words of wisdom:
$1000 today for a project won't get you much that doesn't have lots of rust in it.
You ask "why pay the premium for a minimal rust car?" - I would say start with the best car you can find and don't be afraid to pay extra for a better body.
You are certainly right to ask about how a car will line up after the sills have disintegrated, it takes real skill to replace inner and outer sills without losing door gaps.
If this is to be your first restoration you should look for something with at least good inner sills and no rust around the rear chassis.
You will have front subframe repairs, bottom of A pillars, front and rear floors and outer sills to repair on a good car so don't make life difficult where everything needs fixing.
Another idea- does it have to be a ute?  Utes are very hard to get without major rust because of the life they have endured. It's much easier to find a sedan or wagon with a reasonable body.

Ken
Billy Blackarrow

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 03:54:09 PM »

Not FE/FC but looks a good starting point.
BILLY BLACKARROW

BILLY BLACKARROW
Dad and Son

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 09:05:31 PM »

Gday Ben,

There is an FC Wagon for sale in Bega that may suit you, click on the link below:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/fc-holden-station-wagon-1958/173396720797?hash=item285f3ffc9d:g:3YoAAOSwh8NbPyTp

Cheers, Graeme

Wouldn't mind, but really wanna do a ute. I would like an FC sedan or wagon or an EK sedan for my second project, but that's a distant dream at the moment.
Dad and Son

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 09:08:01 PM »

Another idea- does it have to be a ute?  Utes are very hard to get without major rust because of the life they have endured. It's much easier to find a sedan or wagon with a reasonable body.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

Yes it has to be a ute. I want something to take the missus to church on Sunday and the pigs to town on Monday.
Dad and Son

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 09:20:39 PM »

Hi Ben
I suppose the saying is "nothing is unsaveable" BUT that one looks pretty bad mate.
I picked up another fb ek Ute body a little while ago that has no real floors but looks way better than the one in the photo, I put it in the yard as yard art, it is saveable but I didn't want to go that deep myself.
The sills and things aren't too bad but if it has broken its back like old Utes can do then I think they are too far gone.
You would have to get it up off the ground and have a look underneath and see how bad it is.
Looks like there is a fe ute behind it in the last picture, is that maybe a better prospect?

Good luck with your search Ben
Regards
Neil

Thanks again Neil. I didn't inspect the other ute much as it was already sold, however it appears much better. The headlight surrounds look good:

The left side looks straight but still has a lot of rust in front of the back wheel:

Underneath looks a bit scary. Is that the chassis rail with all the holes in it, just behind the fuel filler pipe? I assume you'd have to fabricate a new section yourself, has anyone on this site done this? What about the rear floor around the fuel tank, would that be another custom fabrication?

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 10:14:55 PM »

Hi d&s. Donor cut from an FE to EK panel van can be the way to go for the area around the fuel tank. Panel vans can tend to rust in the roof, break their back or get t boned. The floor is identical to ute but protected by the roof so they are usually better. Having said that they are the least common body type. Another option is to use a commodore fuel tank and fabricate the floor around this. You then say goodbye to the spare wheel well.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
strop

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 10:21:59 PM »

Have a look at http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10454&hilit=Rusty+EK.s+Ute - this was an EK ute in worse condition and now see the finished product.

Anything is possible.
Billy Blackarrow

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 07:24:03 AM »

Not FE/FC but looks a good starting point.
BILLY BLACKARROW

That was silly forgot to put the link (to much red wine)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-EK-P ... %3D2%26ascl
link isnt working check out FB / EK site it's a Panelvan
BILLY BLACKARROW

BILLY BLACKARROW
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 09:30:11 AM »

Yes that is the rear chassis you are seeing rusted out. Not for the faint hearted.
Anything is possible, yes, but not for your first restoration. Guys restoring these rusted out wrecks have done many jobs before and can work themselves through the challenges. It's not just the welding, but the fabrication of sections which is difficult. None of these rear sections are available like floor pans and sills.
The station wagon also has the same floor pan as a ute - back when these cars could be bought for $50 or so, I did a repair on an otherwise good utility by buying a wagon and using the entire rear section out of it.
Ken
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 10:05:38 AM »

Hi D&S
The fe looks the better prospect a shame that it was sold the fc should be cut up and the fe restored.

Ken is right regarding the amount of work entailed but you siad you had some skills and if you like a challenge then jump in maybe.

If you know of a good sheetmetal shop you can get some bits made up or make them yourself as I did in my EK ute.

As I said good luck with the search and keep us updated as you go through the journey.

Regards
Neil
Dad and Son

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 06:13:56 PM »

Hi D&S
The fe looks the better prospect a shame that it was sold the fc should be cut up and the fe restored.

Ken is right regarding the amount of work entailed but you siad you had some skills and if you like a challenge then jump in maybe.

If you know of a good sheetmetal shop you can get some bits made up or make them yourself as I did in my EK ute.

As I said good luck with the search and keep us updated as you go through the journey.

Regards
Neil

Thanks for the encouragement Neil. I am up for a challenge, I'm the type of bloke who will DIY where possible to save a bit of money. The real bad ute has also been sold - to a panel beater for a garden ornament. I'll have to get the word out to farmers I know that I'm looking for a ute.
Dad and Son

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 06:15:09 PM »

Have a look at http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10454&hilit=Rusty+EK.s+Ute - this was an EK ute in worse condition and now see the finished product.

Anything is possible.
Thanks Strop, great project!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: