FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:20:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey gearbox oil  (Read 2601 times)
JohnBM
wa-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »

is it possible for the gearbox oil to foul the clutch plate ? I’ve been advised that if box was over filled with oil & the car had been parked facing downhill on a steep grade ; this may be possible ? Just interested . Thanks .
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 01:18:09 PM »

Its possible, but very, very improbable. If it has, you will smell it... gearbox oil smells like liquid arse (a delightful expression Number 1 Son taught me during his first gearbox oil change  Roll Eyes).

The early bearings were of the open type. Gearbox oil could (in theory) flow through the bearing cage and along the shaft towards the clutch. The oil would have to have a set of mountain climbing boots, as there is a slinger ring along that shaft. The oil would flow down the slinger, put on it's mountain boots then try to climb back up onto the shaft. This would be pretty hard work if the shaft was static, and impossible if the slinger was spinning (when the car was run the next morning). Our adventurous oil would then have to flow along the archimedes screw that is cut into the shaft end (possible). Any oil that drips off the slinger or the screw flows through a drain hole in the casing snout and into the bellhousing. The oil, probably weary by now if it has escaped the slinger and screw, would have to keep flowing along the input shaft, find it's way to the clutch, then flow onto it.

If the gearbox has been overhauled, the new bearings are sealed (not open) units. It is really, really hard for the oil to get past the seals to even get a run up to the slinger.

Cheers,
Harv
JohnBM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 01:38:00 PM »

Thanks Harve, I’m having a few things done to car . Crank end float probs , plus I’m getting the modified head gasket fitted while I’m at it . The clutch was only done 16 months ago by the same workshop , and now they are telling me the oil may be the problem . It has been shuddering at take off particularly when the engine is hot . Oh well we’ll see . Cheers
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 02:44:07 AM »
+1

I would ask them if they faced the flywheel when they replaced the clutch, did they do the clutch & pressure plate or just the clutch? The shuddering could be from the flywheel being glazed or warped.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
JohnBM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 06:45:49 PM »

Yes , the fly wheel was refaced when I picked up the clutch kit from the company while I waited
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: