FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:33:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My new fc ute  (Read 17141 times)
Greg M
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2018, 09:11:07 PM »

Hi all, I am a new proud owner of a 1959 fc ute. I picked it up in South Australia and its fairly original apart from twin carbs and extractors which I would like to return to original, and it has an alternator and electronic dizzy, not sure what to do there? And it has got center line wheels on it and the front has been lowered, so I will get some standard height Springs and standard rims and new tyres. I am just in the process of going through checking breaks and front end and just making it safe and reliable and organizing a rwc. I met some of you guys at toolangi , and I am looking forward to meeting more members at the next club meeting. I have a lot of work ahead of me and a lot to learn but I hope that you you all can point me in the right direction and help me make the right decisions with the restoration. I sorry I can't work out how to post photos . The fc ute numbers are : Fc10618a trim : 353-650. Paint : 256-2038. And the engine number is L637072. From my homework so far the car was constructed in Adelaide and the trim is Dravo green and the paint is duchess green, I haven't been able to see a sample of duchess green so I hope that someone can point me in the right direction there. The ute is white at the moment with a red interior. Cheers Greg.
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 10:13:14 PM »

Hello Greg, welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you have a nice modified ute.
Returning it to stock should keep you busy.
Look forward to seeing pics someday.
If you would like to email the pics to me, I could post them here for you.
Regards
Alex

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 10:15:27 PM »

http://forum.fefcholden.club/index.php?action=profile;u=47
You can find my email at the link above or by double clicking on my username at the left.
Regards
Alex

FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 09:43:48 AM »

Welcome to the forum Greg sounds like you have picked up a nice Ute we look forward to seeing some photos.

Regards
Neil
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 02:20:00 PM »

We love photos (and utes)
Welcome Greg
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 08:18:44 PM »

G'day Greg ..
I have just UN- Lowered my FC Sedan ..If it helps ..I got the front coils at Bursons ..Australian made King Springs .came with anti squeak inserts ,very easy to fit ..and their price was the best ...don't forget when assembling to centralise the king pin body in the lower wishbone and fit the 2 rubbers on the bolt either side of the  king pin body  ..cheers Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 10:25:57 PM »

Greg sent me some pics to share here.

Regards
Alex

No Soup For You

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 02:05:00 PM »

That's a nice looking ute, Greg. Love the number plate too.
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 06:23:21 PM »

very nice, though I am partial to a ute :-)
Greg M
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 06:35:18 PM »

Hi all, I have started on the rebuild of the original grey motor for the ute but I was wondering if there is a way of finding out if it is truly the original motor, the engine number is L 637072 and the id plate is, fc 2106-4085-A and the number on the inner gard is Fc10618A . The motor thats in the ute at the moment has the engine number of 152412 totally different than what was on the registration papers from when I bought it which had a number of B315014 , and from what I can work out its out of a Fb! Cheers Greg
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 10:42:25 PM »

Greg,

L637072 is a very late FC engine number.  Cast onto the right hand side of the block along with "HOLDEN" and a seven-digit number starting in 74 will be a letter and three numbers: the date code.  What is it?  If you can, read the serial number off the gearbox.  It's stamped onto the rear face of the gearbox case, where the rear extension housing bolts on.  If the gearbox serial number is within a few thousand of the engine number, with an L prefix, you can be reasonably sure you've got the original motor.  But the chassis number seems way too low.  But then I don't know.  This might be a job for Ken.

152412 is an early FJ motor, I'm guessing, and B315014 is a very late EK motor.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 07:38:14 AM »

Hi Greg ..I have just rebuilt a FC engine for my FC Special ( engine in it was EK ) ..If your bore is standard you shouldn't have a problem with piston rings ,mine had been rebored to 3.1/16" plus .030 thou..Repco pistons ..fairly odd size ..If it helps there is a bloke on central coast now has old stock ,( he took over old business stock ) after a few attempts he got me a set of Perfect Circle rings for my rebuild.He has gaskets .pistons,valves..I got the gaskets where I had the head done. Contact ..Bills Motor Parts..at Wyee ..have a look at http://www.billsmotorparts.com.au
cheers Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Greg M
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 08:23:05 AM »

OK, I just went out to the shed and got the gearbox number and its 7409980. I hope that this helps. Cheers Greg
Greg M
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 08:35:42 AM »

And this is the numbers on the side of the block. Cheers Greg
Greg M
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 10:12:39 AM »

Thanks for the heads up Vern. Cheers Greg
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 05:01:17 PM »

Greg,

Your cylinder block was cast on November 17, 1959.
And on the left side of the shot of the gearbox case I can see 2 9, but unfortunately the letter and first numeral of the date code are out of shot.

Rob

Greg M
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 07:36:17 PM »

Hi Rob, I hope that I have got the right ones this time. And thank you for your help. Cheers Greg
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 08:42:45 PM »

Greg,

A229 is January 22, 1959.  My guess is that the gearbox is more likely to be original than the engine, judging on the ten-thousand-and-some chassis number.  Unless the chassis number's 40618 . . . the stamping is often quite indistinct.

Rob

Greg M
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 09:28:06 PM »

Thanks for that Rob, I will check out the chassis number tomorrow night. Cheers Greg
Greg M
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 09:34:34 PM »

I just remembered that I had a photo of the chassis number on my phone already. Definitely starting with a 1. Cheers Greg
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: