FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:49:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a good upholsterer  (Read 5499 times)
No Soup For You

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2018, 04:18:55 PM »

Hello all,

I've started a light restoration of my '59 FC. I'm planning on just getting it up-and-running with some new interior, brakes and tidy up the engine/trans. Have included some pics for you guys to see Smiley https://photos.app.goo.gl/QARfGEiaZ2LYqyYD7

I'm starting on the interior first and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good upholsterer in the Byron Bay area, or possibly Ballina or Lismore?

Also, the front bench seat seems to be some sort of after-market folding seat. This was my grandfather car and he was always out camping and fishing so it wouldn't surprise me if he had this installed so he could sleep in the car. Does anyone know about these folding bench seat? Can you get parts for them?

Cheers
Dave
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 05:36:17 PM »

One of the members here is an upholsterer. Glenn is based in SA but that just means he posts the covers & anything else you need to your address. His work is great.
Details: http://forum.fefcholden.club/index.php?action=profile;u=18
There are others on the forum who know more about the camper seats. Discussions can be searched from the home page. Here's an earlier post on the topic:
Camper bench seat.
Good luck with your restoration, it looks like you have a very good starting point. It's good to see these cars handed down in the family.

Dave
0417 270 315
59wagon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 06:02:30 PM »

Nice car, Dave. That folding bench seat looks cool 👍
No Soup For You

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 09:19:26 AM »

Thanks guys,

Yeah, the car is in good shape and I can't wait to get her out on the road  Cool

I'm keen on finding someone close by to do the upholstery but if that's not possible I might have to give Glenn a call. Thanks for info on the camper seat, very helpful.
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 06:18:45 PM »

Hi Dave. My father had this seat conversion in his FC sedan so that we were able to sleep in the car during holiday trips.Undecided If I remember correctly, in those days (early 1960s) we knew it as a camping body. Coincidentally I found the same thing on my FE after purchasing it back in 2007. This is the sticker still surviving on the rear quarter window.
Cheers, Ken

No Soup For You

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 07:41:55 PM »

Wow! That's really cool, Ken. I'll keep an eye out when I remove the seat, there might be a label or sticker somewhere underneath.

Any idea if you can get the plastic trim that surrounds the bench seat? Mine is pretty beat-up and cracked. I wouldn't mind replacing it, if possible?
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 07:49:51 PM »

I am pretty sure they were re-produced a while back Dave. I have occasionally seen them on eBay since.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 07:57:29 PM »

Any idea if you can get the plastic trim that surrounds the bench seat? Mine is pretty beat-up and cracked. I wouldn't mind replacing it, if possible?

Rare Spares did a run of them a few years ago, not sure whether there are plans to produce any more. It might be worth checking with a few RS agents to see if they still have any.

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 08:04:08 PM »

Yes, the plastic trim is re-produced & available from Rare Spares again. They are not cheap but some of the originals I've seen are quite fragile & beyond being serviceable.
https://www.rarespares.net.au/mitchell/buy/st1000/seat-trim-set-upper-lower-fe-fc-both-sides-set
There are also a few fibre glass re-productions around.

Dave
0417 270 315
No Soup For You

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 08:46:45 PM »

Thank you!  Smiley
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 08:04:26 AM »

Soup
If using the new seat sides with a camping seat the lower section will usually need to be modified (cut) in order to allow the seat to do it's  thing
Front seat looks pretty good as is just nedds re padding
Welcome aboard
No Soup For You

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 09:12:59 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up, Zulu. Great to be part of this community. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)